Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

View Poll Results: would you buy or use a used helmet?
Yes, no problem 2 9.52%
No, I'd get a new one 19 90.48%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
alantf

Re: Would you buy or use a used helmet, or get a new one?

Over here,when you buy a new bike, the dealer customarily (I think that's the right word - I mean "it's the custom") gives you two things free of charge. A brake disc lock & a helmet. I chose the Airoh "top one" 3/4, at 100 euros. When I got my money back after a month (because of all the problems I had with the Chinese crap that I'd bought) I didn't need either a lock or a helmet for the gz,(as I'd got the ones he gave me before) so he knocked me 100 euros off the price. I could have picked any helmet in the shop, but there weren't any at the silly prices mentioned above.
slight change of subject - there's a notice in the shop. Buy any bike over 600cc & get your choice of 300 euros worth of accessories. Must be a sign of the times.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
alantf

Can anyone in Australia (where EVERYTHING costs more) tell us what the price of helmets are over there? My mate in Perth (Secret Harbour) says his cost $Aus 600, but he REALLY has more money than God. Is that the sort of average price, or is that just my mate, Bob, spending more than he needed, just to make God sit up & take notice?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
mrlmd1

There are $60-80 helmets (forgot the name right now but I can look them up) for sale on the web or in places like WalMart that are all DOT and Snell approved and are the highest rated bang for the buck on a few sites. Like every thing else, you can overpay for basically the same thing in a different covering or package. There are ones of fiberglass, ones of polycarbonate, etc, but if they all pass the same rating test, and the G-force protection each affords is basically the same, what, other than some prestigious brand name on your head, is the benefit to a $600 vs. a $60 helmet? :??:

Old 04-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
burkbuilds

mrlmd1: I would agree that all of those helmets have to meet the same MINIMUM DOT standard, but that doesn't mean some couldn't exceed those standards by more than others does it? Of course you know my opinion about helmets from other posts, but that's not the point here. Is there some factor that could make a helmet take a hit better than another helmet even if both met the minimum requirements to pass DOT certification (which isn't much in my opinion)? I don't know, but I'd be hard pressed to pay much more than a hundred bucks for a helmet myself.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
alanmcorcoran

I've read some controversy out there on the DOT and SNELL certification process. As a non-expert it's difficut to tell if the argument is between vested interests or is purely scientific, but there is some disagreement on the emphasis and approach that goes into helmet testing and subsequent manufacture. It's not enough for me to think that no helmet is better, but not everyone agrees with the official testing and methodology.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
mr. softie

I find it insulting that helmet makers think my head is only worth $20-$900!

I am pretty sure God gave all his money away back when He found religion.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #17
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

I'm not a fan of the SNELL ratings. In order to be SNELL certified, a helmet must be EXTREMELY stiff. Everything I've ever learned about physics says that a stiff helmet will transfer more energy to your neck than a less stiff one. Also, it should be noted that there are NO SNELL helmets in Europe. Why? Because European standards test a helmet's ability to absorb energy, not their ability to withstand 2 or more hits without cracking (i.e. SNELL). I'd much rather have a DOT/ECE helmet than a SNELL helmet. I actually have more faith in the ECE ratings than DOT ratings, because its no secrete that Europe has a more robust motorcycling culture (in that they actually see them as valid forms of transportation rather than toys) than we do here in the US.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #18
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
Also, it should be noted that there are NO SNELL helmets in Europe. Why? Because European standards test a helmet's ability to absorb energy, not their ability to withstand 2 or more hits without cracking (i.e. SNELL). I'd much rather have a DOT/ECE helmet than a SNELL helmet. I actually have more faith in the ECE ratings than DOT ratings, because its no secrete that Europe has a more robust motorcycling culture (in that they actually see them as valid forms of transportation rather than toys) than we do here in the US.
That statement is a bit misleading. Most racing helmets legal for use in Europe under FIA regulations are SNELL rated as well as being rated by the wuropean organizations. Arai, Scheuberth (The current favorite among F1 drivers, actually the "spec" helemet in F1 for a season or two, until the other Helmet manufacturers complained and were allowed to submit thier helmets for approval)Stand 21 and others have SNELL ratings as well as Euro ssafety ratings.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #19
Sarris

As I understand it, 3/4 or half helmets can be DOT, but only non-opening chin bar full face meets Snell.

I don't wear a full face, so to hell with Snell.

:lol:
Old 04-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #20
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
As I understand it, 3/4 or half helmets can be DOT, but only non-opening chin bar full face meets Snell.

I don't wear a full face, so to hell with Snell.

:lol:
That's correct, SNELL has always been more concerned with motorsports helmets, and following the Earnhardt accident, no sanctioning bodies really allow open face helmets any more, except for some rally sanctioning bodies.

SNELL's SA rating, for motorsports, tests not only impact, but also flammability and effect of roll bar impact against the helmet.

The M rating for Cycles tests for impact and field of view.

the K rating, Kartin helmets, tests for impact.

Although, sort of overkill for the casual motorcyclist, SNELL has done more for motorsports helmets over the past 50 years than any other group. It's actually kind of scary to even look at the lids that Formula One and Indy Car drivers wore in the early 70's compared to the helmets and HANS devices they use now.