Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 09-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Ear plugs

I got some Hearo's after somebody on here recommended them, but they have half inch sticks on them which get pushed on by the helmet. I have disposable ones but they don't go in or fit as consistently as the hearo's. Anybody got any other favorites?

For the record, I get hearing damage on the Strat after about an hour riding, even with full face helmet and windshield. The strat is louder than the GZ, but not Harley loud. I prefer to ride without the ear plugs because I like to hear the engine and the cars etc. but I get ringing etc. I've already lost some hearing and it runs in my family, so I'll go with the plugs for longer rides.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
dhgeyer

Re: Ear plugs

I have some that I got at a BMW dealership. Says "Moldex Pocket Pak" on the purple, round, clamshell type case. Didn't pay much for them, and they work well for me. They also have long stems on them, so you might have the same problem. I give 'em a twist on the way in, and they go in far enough so as to not interfere with the helmet.

I also use disposable ones from the drugstore. They actually have a higher decibel reduction rating than the permanent ones. They're not easy to get in, though. It takes quite a bit of practice to get them in far enough. You have to roll them quite thin between your fingers, grab the lower back of your ear with one hand and pull it back, and insert the plug quickly (while it's still small enough) at just the right angle. It took me months to get it so it's fairly easy on the first try, and I still mess up once in a while after using them for years. They're a little more comfortable than the permanent ones, though. It's possible to reuse them, but each time you do it gets harder to get them in, because they expand faster after you roll them down.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Yeah I've used the disposables on airlines for years. I know the drill. They also get kind of gross.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

When trying to put in ear plugs I find they go in easier if I open and close my mouth to flex the jaw muscles etc. Never leave home without them.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

I use disposables every night and on longer rides. They definitely get nasty after a few uses, but you can clean them off and they're not bad if you let them dry completely.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
burkbuilds

Fortunately I've already lost enough of my hearing that I don't even hear the wind noise anymore, it's just a nice quiet ride with nothing to interrupt my thoughts! My wife keeps telling me to get hearing aids, but I'm kinda enjoying the peaceful sounds of silence. Most of my loss came from running a skillsaw for 25+ years without any hearing protection. Bummer about whoever posted that they couldn't sleep in a quiet room because all they could hear was ringing from all the rock concerts they attended without hearing protection, I think it was music man in the post that got this one started. That would drive me nuts! I don't really mind not being able to hear well anymore,it's all the people around me that it seems to drive crazy!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
dannylightning

im still too lazy to dig my plugs up.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Ringing in the ears is a way of life for many of us. Wearing ear plugs will help prevent it. I use my plugs for a while and toss them for new ones. They do tend to get dirty and do loose their effectiveness after a while. Big box home reno stores have them pretty cheap and in various qualities.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

I'm still looking for a balance between protection and comfort, but I am fully in the wearing plugs camp (for any rides other than my 7 mile commute.)
Old 09-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Alan, theres some good candidates on this page ....

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/mo ... gear1.html

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook