Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 05-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Stebel Air Horn

Just ordered a new Stebel air horn from Ridesafer.com. The Fiam Hiway Blaster was not moving the forest rats fast enough for my tastes. The Fiam was supposed to replace a dead Stebel but it really failed miserably in the Got Your Attention mode. The dead Stebel of days gone by was not due to factory flaws or quality. It is a good product and worth it's price.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-31-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
cayuse

Re: Stebel Air Horn

I was looking at the Fiam unit just yesterday in the store and wondered just how loud it would be. Thanks for the heads-up WW.
A Stebel will be on my bike this summer, too.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

You will like the Stebel. I was talking to a fellow the other day with twin Fiams on his bike and they weren't much better than my single Fiam. The Stebel will wake up anyone or anything on the road.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:29 AM   #4
ncff07

Is there any particular mounting and wiring thats better for the GZ? I found one on Amazon I'm thinking about getting for $42 but had rather leave the stock horn and use the new one as a back up. Wouldn't want to give the little old lady from Pasadena a heart attack or anything.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncff07
Is there any particular mounting and wiring thats better for the GZ? I found one on Amazon I'm thinking about getting for $42 but had rather leave the stock horn and use the new one as a back up. Wouldn't want to give the little old lady from Pasadena a heart attack or anything.
The Stebel will come with some wiring and a relay. Your best bet is to use the factory wiring to the factory horn to trigger the relay for the Stebel. You can leave the factory horn on the bike or take it off completely. That way you always have your noise maker handy and it will not work when the key is off, just the same as the factory horn will not work when the key is off. Do not consider a louder horn as a back up horn. A loud horn is a first line of defence item that can save you from a really bad day.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
blaine

Does the STEBEL horn draw much power?I'am running close to maximum.
I run two 20w driving lights with no problems.I could change lights to 10w each if needed.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
mrlmd1

It is protected by a 20 amp fuse so that should tell you something. It's only on for a second or two when you use it, it's not a continuous draw, but you still need the power to run it or it may not be loud at all.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
It is protected by a 20 amp fuse so that should tell you something. It's only on for a second or two when you use it, it's not a continuous draw, but you still need the power to run it or it may not be loud at all.
Yup it does draw more power than the stock unit so the relay is needed. The extra draw does not really create a great impact on the rest of your power draw. Your headlight "might" dim momentarily but that is all.

Can't wait to be really loud again.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
blaine

[quote=Water Warrior]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mr lmd1":124v81yn
Yup it does draw more power than the stock unit so the relay is needed. The extra draw does not really create a great impact on the rest of your power draw. Your headlight "might" dim momentarily but that is all.

Can't wait to be really loud again.[/quote:124v81yn]

Thanks,Will be ordering one in the near future. :2tup:

Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
burkbuilds

Hey WW, I got my Stebel and put it on this weekend. Man is that thing loud! I got to use it today on I-75 just north of Atlanta. I was in the middle of three lanes of traffic running about 70mph when some knucklehead came up from behind me weaving in and out of traffic and cutting it pretty close to several vehicles. He was probably doing 85+ as he came up beside me on my left I hit the horn, one blast of about a second. His head swiveled over and looked at me with a startled look on his face, then he slowed down and started driving at the same pace as everybody else.