Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 06-18-2010, 05:00 AM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Lane Splitting

I suppose this is one of those inflammatory topics like ATTGATT, etc. so, in the interest of providing thread fodder, I will weigh in here with my non-expert and un-asked for perspective...

1) Yes, lane splitting is dangerous. So is riding a motorcycle. If you want to be safe, watch TV.
2) If you don't live in California, deciding that lane splitting is "not worth the risk" is kind of like saying French women aren't any good in bed when you've never been to France. True, it may not be worth the risk, but it seems like it should at least be an option if you are going to have an opinion about it. My apologies if you are actually from California.
3) Although I am generally a risk adverse person (read "pussy"), and I admitttedly avoided lane splitting for the first six to nine months (hell, I avoided the freeway for the first six to nine months), I am far more likely to lane split (now) when the opportunity presents itself than not. I lane split on the freeway, on residential two laners, and backroads. I only do it when there is an excessive amount of cars and they are not moving regular like. There are two main reasons I do it: Firstly, to improve my rate of progress relative to the cars. Secondly, it's pretty darn fun. Is it risky? Yes. Is it suicide? No. I honestly don't think it is that much more risky than all of the other shit we have to contend with. A little more? yes. A lot more? No. BTW the cops do it ALL THE TIME. And they are on some pretty good size Harleys, Beemers and Hondas with fairings, and bags, (and shotguns!)
4) California has a very high percentage of motorcycle riders as compared to the rest of the country. Many of the people you encounter in cages are also riders. It is far more common for CA drivers to move over and give you space than to move in and encroach (yes, we have douchebag drivers here too, but they are the minority.)

So, as a lifelong pussy that lane splits with impunity and enjoys it, I say it IS worth the risk. Flame on!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #12
alantf

In a quieter vein ........ Over here, it would never occur to riders NOT to lane split :cool:
Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #13
voxclone

Hard to judge whether he was going to fast from a video like that...

What I will say is that the minivan broke the law by crossing the double yellows to get out of the HOV lane.

That's no excuse to let your guard down, but that van shouldn't have been changing lanes there in the first place.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:38 AM   #14
Peachy140

Im gonna revive this thread because its a good one and an important lesson for newbies.

I live in Gibraltar so laws here differ somewhat from the US but my dad always told me solid line means dont split, dotted line means split if safe to do so. I lived by that during my provisional license days and it served me well. Sure I got held up at the traffic lights more than other motorcyclists, but no more than I would have if I was in my car.

I couldnt believe it on the day of my test when i stopped behind a car in a solid line road, on a bend and waited for the lights to change when my examiner actually told me to split the lanes and go up to the front of the queue of traffic.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #15
grego

hi all

i drive an f350 taking service calls here in southern cali average about 125 miles a day. weekly they are scrapping a biker off the pavement. its a mixed bag of riders, some are cautious others are reckless and others are just outright nuts. i've even seen one biker lane splitting blow his horn at the biker in front of him to get out of his way. oh the good part here in so cal is that the hov lane is for anybody that wants to risk the fine so the yellow lines are meaningless when it comes to changing lanes into and out of the hov lane. granted with the amount of traffic lane splitting saves a lot of time when its bumper to bumper travelling 20 miles an hour in traffic. so its a lot more dangerous here in so cal to split lanes. as for me i'm still learning and the gz is not fast enough for the hov lane.

safe biking and be careful

grego

Old 04-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #16
cburgess594

Did the car signaled? or not? or maybe he was just going to fast?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #17
Viirin

It's almost frowned upon to not "lane split" in Ireland if your on a bike (think we call it filtering through traffic here)

As a personal rule i don't go any higher than 3rd gear but some people absolutely tear through traffic
Old 04-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

There is a vid on Utube right now about a guy from Vancouver Island B.C. The rider had a camera mounted on his bike and was lane splitting on the highway at 299 kph. I personally think a jail sentence of at least a year would get his attention. He has a long list of offences and suspended licenses which haven't changed his habits.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
greatmaul

Wow, well I personally am afraid to lane split, even at a stoplight, but I think part of it is cultural. If I lived in a place where it was the norm and was considered something that actually helps to ease traffic (which I believe it does) then I think I certainly would lane split.

It's just that I keep imagining that the car drivers here would be very pissed if I passed them when they couldn't even move.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
Viirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
Wow, well I personally am afraid to lane split, even at a stoplight, but I think part of it is cultural. If I lived in a place where it was the norm and was considered something that actually helps to ease traffic (which I believe it does) then I think I certainly would lane split.

It's just that I keep imagining that the car drivers here would be very pissed if I passed them when they couldn't even move.

I think that's normal for car drivers everywhere - A LOT of the drivers here seem to take offense if you over take them even if they're crawling along - the worst are the ones that deliberately move over into your way just so you can't get past - but screw them, if your out taking the risk of driving a bike and enduring all the elements you have to get something back in the trade off