Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
minieggroll

Front vs Rear Braking

Hello,

I just started riding and was wondering under what circumstances to use front vs rear brake. Should I always apply both when braking or use one for slower braking? My MSF course isn't until April 21st so I've gotta learn on my own at this point :/

Thanks for the help!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Gz Rider

Re: Front vs Rear Braking

Old 02-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider

Braking is a tricky issue. Everything I've seen says to apply both evenly. Some people like to use only the front brake because if it wears out, it's easier to repair yourself. One problem (of many) that arises with that strategy is you might forget to use your rear brake in an emergency. Also, locking up (skidding) the front wheel is much more likely to cause a loss of control (crash) than the rear. Really though, you don't want to lock up either wheel and using both evenly is part of a strategy to avoid that.
When you are going slow & maneuvering,be sure to use you rear brake ONLY.If you use your front brake in this situation you will dump the bike.Also using the rear brake lightly helps to stabilize & control the bike when moving slowly.
:cool:

Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

That is great advice minieggroll. Get reading and you will soon know all about the brakes and when to use them. By the time you take the course you will have a much better understanding of bike control and what not to do in some situations. The GZ is a very forgiving bike but it does need some cooperation from the rider. Learn your part of the equation, the GZ knows it's part already.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
mole2

Just a quick note. If you should lock up your front brake release it immediately. You greatly risk high siding if you keep your front brake locked. If you lock up your rear brake leave it locked. Slow maneuvers should be the rear brake only. Get in the habit of rear only on slow riding. Hitting your front brake while moving slow and hitting sand will take you down fast. Don't use your front brake with the wheel turned. You are instructing the motorcycle to go down if you do that. When in a curve straighten the front wheel BEFORE braking or you'll high side. Use both brakes when braking from speed.

A final note. The bike will only do what you tell it to do...even if it's the wrong thing to do.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Gz Rider

Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
blaine

Quote:
I've never seen (or experienced) this issue of rear braking on slow turns as Mole2 and Blaine describe. Is this technique in Proficient Motorcycling or another source?

Question:
Why do I have problems making U-turns? I've taken the MSF course and I know about head and eyes, but I still can't seem to turn my bike without duck walking it around a U-turn.

Answer
Though you've taken the MSF course and they've told you about head and eyes, the friction zone and using the rear brake, they haven't told you how to apply those techniques properly. Here's the U-turn drill. Assuming you're going to make a left hand U-turn. Decide exactly where you are going to start your turn, put your foot on the rear brake, get in the friction zone, dip your bike to the right so that your front tire is heading towards the right side of the edge of the street. As soon as you reach that point, turn your HEAD AND EYES as far as you can to the left. Never, ever look at the opposite edge of the road where you don't want the bike to go. The further you lean the bike, the tighter the turn you can make. There is no production bike I know of that cannot make a turn in less than 24 feet. In the deepest part of the lean, bring the revs up a little, slip the clutch a little more and put a little more pressure on the rear brake. All the time, keeping your head and eyes focused on where you want the bike to go. Think of how an owl turns his head completely around, that's what you should look like when executing a U-turn properly.

A lot of times you will see riders going through parking lots slowly with their feet down for balance.If you use your rear brake & the friction zone of your clutch,you can move much slower with your feet on the pegs & maintain your balance,control & dignity.
:2tup:

Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
Gz Rider

Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
blaine

Quote:
That quote seems to be from Jerry Palladino, is that correct?
Yes,It is. :cool: :2tup:

This may explain it better for some:

With the motorcycle in the friction zone, keep your foot on the rear brake and feather it as the bike starts to move. By doing this you are making the motorcycle think it's going faster than it is. When you apply power and keep your foot on the rear brake, it keeps the motorcycle from falling over at low speeds which is where most people have a problem. I've never heard of anyone having problems balancing their motorcycle at 50 or 60mph. If you don't use these techniques at 5 or 10mph the motorcycle feels clumsy and wants to fall over on it's side. AVOID using the front brake at all costs when riding at parking lot speeds, as applying the front brake at 5 or 10mph with the handle bars turned even slightly, will pull you to the ground like a magnet. Of course, once above parking lot speeds, you must use the front brake as well as the rear brake, as 70% of your braking power comes from the front brake.

Avoid dragging your feet along the ground as this tends to upset the balance of the motorcycle, and of course, if your feet are dragging on the ground you cannot have your foot on the brake. As soon as you start to move your bike from a complete stop, both feet should automatically come up to the floor boards or pegs and your right foot should be feathering the rear brake. Once you master these three simple techniques, you will be amazed at the tight maneuvers your bike can perform. You'll know you've gotten it right when you can make full lock turns in both directions at 5mph with the pegs or boards scraping a perfect circle in the pavement.
:cool:

Old 02-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
I've never seen (or experienced) this issue of rear braking on slow turns as Mole2 and Blaine describe. Is this technique in Proficient Motorcycling or another source?
Using the rear brake in slow manuevers and U turns help to stabilize the bike and prevents unwanted extra speed. Used in conjunction with the friction zone you can move around at slow speed for quite some distance/time. You can read all about it in Proficient Motorcycling. David Hough has some detailed explanations for slow riding and great info about the front end geometry that dumps you on your butt if you use the front brake while riding slow.

In a high speed situation on a curve you can depend on the front brake more than the rear. The rear is more likely to lock up and step out to the side than the front. You won't fall using the front because both wheels turning act like gyros and want to stay upright. You can use both brakes but keep in mind the weight will transfer to the front and unload the rear traction with a better chance of rear lock up. The whole process is a learning curve and confidence in understanding the forces involved in riding. I kept learning small tidbits after 50+ years of 2 wheeling. My steepest and most gratifying learning curve was in 2007 at a riding course with Lynda after we decided I was not a good instructor for her. My Vstrom was a lot easier to ride after that course. Most riding courses draw their info from David Hough's writings. Read it, practice it and above all take the course.