Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Revs

Started fine, now it won't

Wife jumped on the GZ to ride to work yesterday. She got as far as the corner Walgreens. She stopped there to run in for an energy drink. When she came out, the bike wouldn't start. Tried choking it, tried flipping the fuel switch to prime, nothing. It would turn over just not start. So, I ride over and look at it, same thing. We push it the half block home. Sat in the driveway all day. I get home after 9 pm last night and there is a circle of spilled fuel on the ground that has dried. Probably close to a pint from the size of the circle.

Any ideas? I went over the bike bike Sunday and noticed the vacuum line to the back of the fuel petcock had come undone. Think she just flooded it when she flipped it to Prime and the vacuum line sucked up fuel?

She had a hard time getting it to run on the Reserve and On settings for a while and left it on Prime to ride it on short rides. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I know prime is like a gravity flow setting. I'm thinking that when the vacuum line came undone, the Prime setting let fuel flow into the carb still so she could ride it.

Thanks everyone for any ideas in advance

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
alantf

If it won't run in "run" and "reserve", but will run in "pri" then it's definitely a vacuum pipe problem. "pri" is the only position that doesn't require vacuum. As for the pool of fuel - did she leave it sitting in "pri"? If so, there's your answer. "pri" will just keep letting fuel flow to the carb, until it starts overflowing.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
gz4me +

If the petcock was left in prim for extended time, you better check the oil to insure it is not contaimated with gas. Pull spark plug and clean or replace. It was wet with gas, so no spark, no start. Air cleaner might be soaked as well. Insure vac hose connected to petcock. After changing oil,cleaning or replacing spark plug,cleaning or replacing air cleaner and vac hose attached to petcock it should start. Let us know how it works out.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Revs

I looked at the oil window and it looks like it has over filled. I'm going to go out and drain the oil and check it. Thought of that just now as we were getting home. Had to go in and help her a little at her job.

I'll let everyone know what I find out shortly.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Revs

Ok. Drained oil. Good news and bad news. Bad news is there was gas in the oil. I drained almost 3 quarts of fluid out of the engine. When it was done, there was a couple pieces of aluminum in it. One was about 3/4" long by 1/8" wide and maybe a couple thousandths thick. That doesn't sound good.

But, good news is, I can upgrade the engine a little. Give me some recommendations. I figure since it will be tore down to see where the metal came from, I can change a few things while inside.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
5th_bike

No no, don't tear it down yet, it could just be a burr from manufacturing. At the first oil filter change you will find little pieces of metal in the filter, same reason. Most likely (and hope so), no problem.

PS but you may need a new vacuum line if the old one shows any signs of age/brittleness.

Last edited by 5th_bike; 07-23-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: PS
Old 07-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike View Post
No no, don't tear it down yet, it could just be a burr from manufacturing. At the first oil filter change you will find little pieces of metal in the filter, same reason. Most likely (and hope so), no problem.

PS but you may need a new vacuum line if the old one shows any signs of age/brittleness.
The burr thing has come up before. Do an oil and filter change and see how it works with a new vacuum line. You may find the bike is quite healthy and wanting a lot more exercise on the road.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 AM   #8
gz4me +

Nod

Agree with 5th bike and Water Warrior 2. Hopefully no damage occured because of the deluted oil. Since you have done the oil change, continue with the spark plug and vac line. Might want to check valve clearance if you have not done so for a while. These valves tighten up rather than getting loose.(should be done every 3,000 miles). Do the simple things first. If that does not work, we will work thru to more involved as needed.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You've gotten only good advice so far.

No need for a tear down. The problem is as simple as new vacuum lines, fresh fuel, and completing the oil change.

The first problems that you encountered all centered around the loss of vacuum to draw fuel from the tank on "RUN". Leaving it on "PRI" was a short term solution at best and the only thing she did wrong was leave it on overnight.

You're all good. Take care of the little 'honey-do' list, and I bet the bike starts right back up.