Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
davidsuserid

Send a message via AIM to davidsuserid
New Cylinder Head, Now it won't start.

I just put a new cylinder head on the bike and after putting everything together, now it won't start. The timing and intake/exhaust are correctly matched to the crank, and the bike turns over, it just won't catch. It just keeps trying and trying trying. I have tried all the suggestions on here, thinking maybe I flooded it. And I double checked the timing etc. twice. The spark plug isn't but a couple months old, and there is a spark, cause I took it out of the head and cranked it while observing the plug, and a spark was present.

Any ideas???? It was unseasonably cold the last couple of days, but it has been cold before and it still started right up, so I don't think that is it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: New Cylinder Head, Now it won't start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsuserid
and there is a spark, cause I took it out of the head and cranked it while observing the plug, and a spark was present.

Any ideas????
OK, you have spark, next is fuel. Have you left it in the PRIme position for a while? Probably need to get some starting fluid next (ether). You are using full choke, right ??

With a head change, a compression test might be in order too.

How about a refresher on WHY you changed the head in the first place ??
Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
davidsuserid

Just another note, I had some troubles with the ignition coil a few months back, I had to scrub the contact points off and it worked after that. Now, I know for sure there is a spark, I can visually see one, but does it need to be a super strong spark, or will any old spark do? I am wondering if the coil is going bad and the really cold weather just exasperated the problem

Old 02-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
JWR

My bike has a strange starting ritual.

If it cranks over and does not start, I turn off the red kill switch, turn it back on, and it starts ever time. It has always been this way.

Might be a contact, but it is not worth the trouble to check.

Might have to try this a couple of times.

Jerry

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
davidsuserid

I changed the cylinder head because it had a rusted bolt in it that i couldn't get out. I got a used one from Version on here and it was in perfect shape. I think I am going to check all my electrical connections and such tomorrow and see if that helps. I know gas is getting into the cylinder because I can light it through the spark plug hole and it will burn off quick.

At first I thought I had the camshaft on reverse, but I checked it twice and it is correct. Any other ideas while I am tinkering around tomorrow?

Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
I changed the cylinder head because it had a rusted bolt in it that i couldn't get out.

I know gas is getting into the cylinder because I can light it through the spark plug hole and it will burn off quick.
Oh, yes, I remember now.......it was running fine and there was nothing wrong with the head but you just didn't like the looks of the rusted bolt; wasn't that pretty much the story ?? :roll:

Make sure your insurance is paid up before you go lighting gas in the plug hole again.

I quit.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
davidsuserid

I'm sorry, did I do something to offend you? Do chrome accessories and saddlebags, and floorboards make a bike run better? No, they don't, at least the thing I put on was a functional part of the bike. I am tired of your holier than though attitude towards EVERYONE that asks a simple question on this board, so I am gonna go ahead and put you on my ignore list so I don't have to weed through your sarcastic belittling remarks, thanks for playing..
Old 02-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
I am tired of your holier than though attitude towards EVERYONE .....
You pretty much missed the point. It's not everyone.
Bye.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
I am tired of your holier than though attitude towards EVERYONE .....
You pretty much missed the point. It's not everyone.
Bye.

I don't want any part of this argument (so in other words I am not commenting on that part of this discussion), but I will say that lighting up gasoline in your cylinder head through the spark plug hole is probably one of the top bad ideas that I have heard on this site, cause I kinda thought that the whole concept of the cylinder head was to produce and keep all that gasoline combustion INTERNAL.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Also, just because it ignites at the plug hole doesn't mean there's sufficient fuel in the cylinder during the ignition phase. The residual vapor in the cylinder will always ignite. There are much better ways to check gas flow to the cylinder than this.

Have you checked all of your vacuum lines?