Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #21
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: BEHOLD!

Well, I purchased the bike in Marietta and had to drive it back home.
The first hour of that trip was awesome, until I got all but 3 miles south of my house. After pulling off the interstate and turning left onto Hwy 41, I made it about a mile when the bike lurched forward a bit and slowly rolled to the side of the road.

As you can imagine, I was quite upset that my brand new ride died on me less than 2 hours after purchase. I threw my helmet down in disgust and pushed the bike to the Kangaroo gas station just on top of the hill. I wasn't alone, luckily, as my brother was tailing me in my mini van.

I parked the bike and promptly called the previous owner. He was nice enough when I purchsed it, even threw in a battery tender and showed me his replacement bike: 2010 Vectrix (all electric highway bike)

We discussed what etiquette was for a break down so soon after purchase and he agreed to give me a full refund the next day.

Needless to say, that cooled me off substantially.

So now using a cool noggin' and thinking clearly, I began to diagnose the problem. Having owned a chinese scooter before and knowing the general make-up of the beasts, I pulled the CVT cover and found that 1/4 of my drive belt had been eaten away. I noticed the words of the belt read "Mitsuboshi" and could only assume that this was an original Chinese knock-off belt. By this time, it was 1:30 in the morning and I was just beat from both mental exhaustion+frustration plus having just completed a 1.5 hour motorcycle ride on the highway for the first time in about 2 years.

This all happened Friday evening and I left Sunday for a vacation in Pigeon Fordge, which is why you guys are just now getting the scoop. (When I vacation, I disconnect completely.)

So now, back at home, I found a Qlink dealer 12 miles north of Dalton and picked up a belt for it this morning. I'll be putting it on when I get home and she'll be ready to ride again for tomorrow morning's commute.

I'll let you know more after I spend a few more days in the saddle, but so far I am impressed.

If you haven't already assumed, it is an automatic CVT drive, just like a scooter, but that's about all it has in common with a scoot. It is 100% motorcycle, except for the plastic side coverings over the engine. Those things make it a bear to do maintenance on, but luckily I only have to remove one side at a time, depending on what the job it.

But, on the whole, I really like it. I chose it over the GZ simply because of the features that it offers, like the rear rack, floor boards and liquid cooling. It also has a nicer gauge set than the GZ and, to be honest, I just want to try something different.

This make my second Chinese bike, out of 4 total motorcycles. As much as I hate to say it.... I like the utility of the Chinese bikes better than their Japanese counterparts. My Ninja 250 and the Suzuki made more power than the Qlink, and obviously more than my 150cc scooter, but these China-bikes are just more fun to piddle around on.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Nice to know it was only the belt going south and not something major. Sounds like a fun bike with no shifting and nice footboards rather than pegs. What is the bikes age, mileage, weight, the usual info we need.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #23
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

2007 w/ 15,000 miles. 356 lbs dry.
They don't make them anymore. But you can look up the CF moto v5. Cf moto makes the bike but Qlink was "perfecting" them for a while. Not really sure how that worked but Qlink is an independent company who makes their own bikes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 AM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Did a quick Goggle and found out it makes 18 HP. Should do well with the CVT.