Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Anyone like Collective Soul?

For my birthday this year, I went down to Athens to spend some time with my sister and her boyfriend at their apartment.
As part of the festivities, I wanted to find some good music and get myself a tattoo.

I happened to randomly chance upon a place called The Melting Pot and found that the band playing that night was called "Ed Roland & The Sweet Tea Project."

For those that don't know, Ed Roland is/was the lead singer for Collective Soul. I was more than excited, because their blue album was the first CD that I ever personally owned. Not only is the band a great blend of musicians, including Christopher Allen Yates and Tomi Martin, but Ed's voice hasn't changed at all, despite how white his hair has gotten over the years.

I'm going to promote them here for a minute, because they are kind of an up-and-coming thing and need some publicity. It's mostly a grassroots movement. And I think the fact that they are all kind of older and settled and established is allowing them the freedom to just play the music that comes out of them. It's bascially bluegrass and folk meets Collective Soul's post grunge sound. It's a really good blend of softer rock and some Southeast stylings.

I'm also going to brag. I hung out with these guys after the show for a good 45 minutes. They couldn't be more approachable and they really like the intimate, small-town, concert feel. There may have been only 60 people attending that night and they came over and approached me first. We talked, laughed, got an autographed copy of their EP, with the full album coming out sometime in April, and had a few drinks and jokes at the bar.

Anyway, this isn't motorcycle related, but I wanted to share:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Anyone like Collective Soul?

Happy B-day Jonathan. Off Topic is exactly that. Need not be about bikes. Thanks for sharing your day and showing another of your interests.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
mole2

[youtube:1x6eiklt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKROlUWkbsQ[/youtube:1x6eiklt]

Old 02-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
burkbuilds

Jonathan,
I can't exactly say I'm a big Collective Soul Fan or anything, but several years ago, about six I think, my oldest daughter was playing French Horn in the Atlanta Symphony Youth Orchestra (ASYO)and Collective Soul asked if they could do a concert with the ASYO. So, I got to drive my daughter down to Atlanta every night for a week of rehearsals with those guys and then they played 3 concerts together and recorded it Live and put out the album. I have to agree with you, those guys were great. They hung out with the kids in the ASYO, spent hours talking with them, brought their kids and wives to practice and were really just a great bunch of people. I'd never listened to any of their music before that time and I was not familiar with the group, but I was really impressed with them. The kids in the ASYO just ate them up and my daughter had a blast and got her name in the credits of a Rock Album to boot. It was a fun experience and even though I was raised on a little bit harder rock than these guys play, I enjoyed their music, and I enjoyed seeing them off stage as musicians who just loved their craft and respected others who loved music even when it was not their type of music. Great guys, great experience.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq

Zombies ???????? :??: Holy shit!!!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
burkbuilds

Hey Mole, thanks for posting that Video. I haven't watched it in years. Good memories. I think that was the most fun I've had at the Symphony, I tried to find my daughter in the background but I couldn't spot her. I'd really forgotten all the fog and the light show they did. I was told they spent over $750,000 making the recordings and video over the three concerts. I've got a copy of the CD and the Video of the entire concert somewhere. I doubt if I'll ever have another kid on a rock video,lol.