Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 09-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
I'm back.... and with a new bike!

Hey guys, long time no see. Many of you may remember a few months ago I got a Suzuki Katana. Well, while it was a great bike, it just wasn't my cup of tea, and wasn't as practical as a cruiser would be for my needs right now. So last week I sold my Kat and this weekend picked up a 1998 Suzuki Marauder 800.

Unfortunately, the bike came with drag pipes. So, as time and money permits, I will eventually replace the current pipes with some that are quieter.

I also just won an eBay auction for a set of used Mustang seats and a sissy bar for $250. Hopefully I'll have my new tires and seats by next weekend so I can riiiiide!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: I'm back.... and with a new bike!

Welcome back! What didn't you like about the Katana if I may ask?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
primal

It just seemed a bit cumbersome. Great fun in the twisties, but around town riding was a bit annoying. Plus, I was tired of my wrists hurting. Of course, if I lost a few pounds that last issue may not have been so bad, haha.

Also, there were a few maintenance issues that I didn't want to fool with. The emulsion tubes in the carbs were worn and needed replacement... made my fuel efficiency drop down below 40 mpg (Kats usually get around 50 mpg). Also, the chain and sprockets were worn and due replacement.

Edit: Oh! And I also wanted a liquid-cooled engine. I'll hopefully be moving down to Georgia next year for vet school and the air/oil-cooled engine in the Kat probably wouldn't fare too well in the Georgia heat.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Good luck with vet school. Congratulations on getting in! I understand it's very competitive. Did you take a loss on the Kat?
Old 09-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
primal

I haven't gotten in yet! I'll be submitting my application at the end of the month.

I took a $300 loss on the Kat, which isn't bad seeing as how it is the end of the season. If I had kept the bike I would have had to invest $200 for chain and sprocket, $100 for new emulsion tubes, and ~$130-150 for a rear tire at some point next season.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
burkbuilds

Welcome back! Your new ride looks really nice!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
primal

Thanks! I gotta say, I love the look of that v-twin...
Old 09-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
dannylightning

how loud are the drag pipes and what brand, do they have baffles?? . im looking for pipes for my new suzuki volusia 800. i want them to be loud enough but not crazy loud.

there is a set of vance and hines pipes that sound great and a set of cobra pipes that sound great on the bike. only problem is with a sould clip you have no idea how loud the pipes will be in person.

cool bike, i would rather have a cruiser any day than a sport bike. one of each would be nice but the cruiser comes first, there way more comfortable and your less likley to get really crazy on a cruiser
Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
music man

I Love those bikes, because it is just a bigger version of the GZ, and we all love the GZ's looks, and now you have the Elusive "Power Upgrade" that everyone has been looking to put on it. :lol: .
Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
primal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
how loud are the drag pipes and what brand, do they have baffles?? . im looking for pipes for my new suzuki volusia 800. i want them to be loud enough but not crazy loud.

there is a set of vance and hines pipes that sound great and a set of cobra pipes that sound great on the bike. only problem is with a sould clip you have no idea how loud the pipes will be in person.

cool bike, i would rather have a cruiser any day than a sport bike. one of each would be nice but the cruiser comes first, there way more comfortable and your less likley to get really crazy on a cruiser
To me these pipes are way too loud. They don't have any baffles (something I may look into adding instead of replacing the pipes all together). I'm not sure what brand they are, but they look like the Cobra drag pipes.