Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #31
Easy Rider

Re: Charging a battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
The main concern when charging a battery is sparks because the fumes are explosive.

Also never store a battery on bare concrete as it will ruin a good battery.
If it is an OEM type battery, it is SEALED and fumes should NOT be a problem. Best to avoid open flames anyway, I think.

The concrete floor thing is an old wives tale. Sorry but it's crap.

Storing a conventional lead acid battery ANYWHERE more that 4 months or so is bad because they "self discharge" at a rate of about 5% a week; the older it is, the faster it goes.

Thus, after 16 weeks unattended, it is about 80% dead. If allowed to remain 80% discharged for very long, it sulphates so bad that the cells short out.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #32
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Rebar in the concrete draws out the charge some how.
I don't know the physics behind it, ........
That's because there ISN"T ANY. :cool:

I wonder is Snopes has anything on "batteries on concrete" ??
Old 07-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #33
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
Does a battery fully charge while riding the bike at a speed range of 20-45 mph?
How long would it take for this charge?
That depends on a lot of factors but the general answer is: Yes, probably; maybe 50 miles total.
BUT.....5 trips of 10 miles each wouldn't be as effective as one 50 mile ride......because of the 4 extra starts involved.

If you have a tender it certainly would be good to connect it overnight just to be sure......or at least long enough for the "green light" to come on......assuming that it has one.

The charging systems on modern bikes aren't very "robust" and sometimes will not fully recharge a really dead battery not matter how long you ride. Better to be safe because a battery ages a LOT faster if it remains partially discharged for a long time. (Automotive type batteries only.)

Old 07-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #34
tomtom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom7
I had to keep the choke on pretty high for a while (I read that that's bad, but it was either that or stall).

Plan of attack: Purchased Battery Tender and will use during extended storage. Using gumout for the next few tanks of gas. Going to learn about lubrication methods next.
That useage of the choke is NOT bad.....partly since it is not a "real" choke. It is necessary and normal. That situation might improve a bit as the Gumout does it's work.

Good plan. IF you find your battery dead again, might as well start looking for a new one (after having the charging system checked). Don't fall into the trap of keeping it "alive" by using the tender all the time.

What's a "lubrication method" ?? Could that be "How to change my oil."? :biggrin:
Great to know that I'm not hurting the bike with the choke. Lube stuff for me meant oiling the chain etc. to keep everything nice. I'm currently focused on draining the float bowl though
Old 07-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #35
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom7
I'm currently focused on draining the float bowl though
Got a little chuckle out of that one.

Already got the cup, got a screwdriver, the hose is already attached.....and you know how the petcock works...........

You could have DONE it about twice in the time it took to type that last reply !!
:biggrin: