Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
NB250

Motorcycle Course

Hi,

I am not completely new to motorcycles although I don't have my license yet. I am doing the test in 2 weeks. Several people I know have not recommended taking the motorcyle course in our area since it assumes you have no experience with bikes. I wouldn't mind taking it except for the price: $420 plus tax.

I am already comfortable on a bike although am still very cautious...so if you have experience on dirtbikes and a scooter, do you really need the course?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Re: Motorcycle Course

Can you say with 100% certainty that you haven't learned any bad habits? If not, then you should consider some type of course. $400+ does seem a bit steep, though. I wonder if the RidersEdge course from a Harley dealer would be any cheaper?

One thing that I've noticed is that 99% of the people who do not recommend the course have not taken the course. Conversely, 99% of the people who HAVE taken the course recommend it highly to everyone, regardless of level of experience. You be the judge...
Old 09-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

That seems VERY high. Out here in California where everything is high, Moedad and I only paid $250 and if you are under 18 it's only $150. I'd check around - perhaps there is a place that is cheaper. If you are already pretty experienced, look for my thread called California Motorcyle Safety Foundation Course. To summarize, I don't recommend it much. I do recommend you read Proficient Motorcycling - you will learn just as much in much less time. Find out what maneuvers are on your riding test and prctice them in a parking lot. And read my other post. Good luck. (PS, I did take the course and I passed, so I think my perspective on it is valid. For me, it was overrated.)

Old 09-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
NB250

Thanks guys; I have heard the same from both people who have taken the course and those who haven't. Apparently you spend 8 hours in theory first learning about where the kill switch is, how to start the bike, etc etc. I am no mechanic but it is nothing for me to change out brakes or troubleshoot my own problems.

As for the bad habits...I have been to several motorcycle accidents so I am "hypervigilante" as to safety...

Again...the course is just so expensive for something I'm not sure I want to take. I don't believe there is any alternative in eastern Canada for me to take.

It is a non-profit organization but it seems they are taking advantage of the popularity of motorcycles these days.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Sorry, didn't realize you were Canadian (they get kind of peeved on here if you don't put your location on your profile.) I guess the money is about the same as ours right now, so the price is still high. I'm not sure if it's the same course as the MSF that is taught down here, though. For the record, the MSF is three days. The first is ~5 hours of classroom (mostly like drivers ed or traffic school for motorcycles.) This is concluded with a 50 question closed book test. It's multiple guess and the answers are sort of obvious. I wasn't paying much attention (thought it was gonna be open book) and I still didn't get any wrong. The second day is an introduction to the bike. Goes very slow if you've ridden before. Third day is a little more advanced and concludes with the riding test. The best thing I can say is that I think the MSF people take pride in having a high pass rate. I have not been to the CA DMV for the motorcycle drive test, but I suspect they may be less concerned about their pass rate. I don't know if the Canadian rules are similar to CA - down here the motorcycle licensing rules vary considerably from state to state. In some of them, you only have to be able to fog a mirror. Here, we have a DMV written, a permit process and a riding test.

I suspect with the higher price, that your course may be more advanced and include more riding time, and perhaps, fewer students (ours have 12 students per instructor and assistant instructor.) I still think the average person can learn more in less time with Proficient Motorcycling. JMTC.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

You know, for that price, I bet you could hire one of the instructors yourself and get waaay more experience and instruction than you would otherwise.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Primal - did you know the California "range" instructors (Rider Coaches) are prohibited from taking on private students? I tried to do the very thing you suggested and was told they were not allowed to do private instruction. I guess it is a sort of trade secret protection. Not sure about other states.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB250
It is a non-profit organization but it seems they are taking advantage of the popularity of motorcycles these days.
Maybe not. Figure the cost of the range bikes and maintenance. Even if the instructors are not paid......which they probably ARE......the costs would be substantial.

Most places in the US, the MSF course is subsidized, partially or fully. In my state, it is done at state university's and is free.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I still think the average person can learn more in less time with Proficient Motorcycling. JMTC.
With all due respect, I think you over-estimate the learning ability of the "average" person. :yawn:

:crash:
Old 09-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus

I took the class here (in Florida) and learned loads. Most of the classroom portion was common sense, but the 10 hours on the bike was very informative. There were people in my class that had been riding 30+ years and they still learned new things.

I paid $210 USD (about $224 CD if my math is correct) $420 CD seems high to me, but if that's what the going rate for the class is, in Canada, then so be it.

My $0.02 USD

*edited for typos