Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
YoungRider2010

Re: Helmet Recommendations?

Yes, I will NEVER ride without all of the gear. And I agree about the speed and length of rides. Being a beginner i'm definatly playing safe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
dhgeyer

For the kind of riding you describe, I think either a full face or a three quarter helmet would be fine, apart from the increased safety of the full face type. However, as you ride farther, faster, and longer, the FF will probably be a better bet.

We forgot to mention. One thing more money (not necessarily a whole lot more) can get you is lighter weight. This will be very much appreciated after a while. Some of the new composite shells are amazingly light, which makes them more comfortable to wear for long periods.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
However, as you ride farther, faster, and longer, the FF will probably be a better bet.

One thing more money (not necessarily a whole lot more) can get you is lighter weight.
As we ride farther, faster and longer......many of us find that a windshield is a better bet......and then the ability to deflect flying objects is less of a consideration for a helmet (I still use a full face though).

Excellent point on the weight; will try to remember that the next time I shop for a new one.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
Sarris

In Florida, no one wears ATFGATFT. It's too damn hot. You'll have a heat stroke here long before you have an accident.

I ride in t-shirt, jeans, riding boots, a DOT 1/2 police type helmut (sp), and good sunglasses. I do wear a leather jacket, leather gloves and a 3/4 helmut (sp) in the winter.

Typically, all newbies are chickenshits. Time in the saddle will cure most of that. I'm 52 yrs old, been riding for 35+ years, and have been down twice. One time, really bad (in winter gear).

ATFGATFT would not have done shit for me in either accident, and for me, it's not worth having a heat stroke.

Now, before y'all jump up my ass, this old dog ain't changing. Don't waste your breath preaching. So, :fu:

PS; I'm not stupid, dense, or suicidal. I believe in freedom of choice. Keep the safety Nazis off my ass.

Have a Nice Day.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
YoungRider2010

I don't know about you, but i'm gonna have to stick to wearing all my gear. Even in the summer and especially while i'm learning. I'm in Indiana so the heat isnt as much a big deal.

Another question...what is ATFGATFT?

Old 08-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
dhgeyer

It's a variation on ATGATT (All the Gear All the Time), with, I gather, a couple of Nixonian expletives added. I suppose Sarris might have a point. After all, the safety gear only saved my life, and my wife's life, once. What's one teeny little time, really? ;-)

I think also, YoungRider, you make an excellent point about being particularly religious about ATGATT for the first couple of years. Which is not to say that it isn't important after that.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

ATGATT= All The Gear All The Time. ATFGATFT= add an F word at your discretion.

Helmet, I wear a HJC Metallic Flip Face. Cheapest of their Flips and pretty decent overall. More arrow dynamic than my CL -14 or the other HJC whatever it is. New Enough has them on for a great price, they also have many other models/makes at good prices. Good folks to deal with and a generous return policy if needed. Check out their site and browse for a while.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #18
YoungRider2010

Will do, thanks.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:04 AM   #19
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris

I ride in t-shirt, jeans, riding boots, a DOT 1/2 police type helmut (sp), and good sunglasses. I do wear a leather jacket, leather gloves and a 3/4 helmut (sp) in the winter.
Sarris and I seem to be on the same wavelength. Apart from the helmet (I always wear a 3/4, to cut down the noise) I generally ride in T-shirt & jeans (like everyone else around here) and recently it's been so hot that I've been riding locally in shorts, to try & get some breeze to cool me down.

However ............. When that car sideswiped me, a couple of months ago, & the bike went down, it was a cool day, so I was wearing a leather jacket (unarmoured), gauntlets & boots (cowboy boots with a non-slip sole added). The grazes on the jacket show that it saved me from road rash.

This still doesn't stop me riding in a T-shirt when it's hot. It just shows that the older you get, the more stubborn you get! :2tup: :2tup: :2tup:
Old 08-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
After all, the safety gear only saved my life, and my wife's life, once. What's one teeny little time, really? ;-)
Was it the jacket and pants that accomplished that feat.......or the helmet ??

Heat stroke is a REAL danger in the South ....and even the mid-west during the "dog days" of summer. The best way to prevent injury is to prevent the "accident" in the first place. If you pass out and veer into oncomming traffic.......?????? A little extra trama when you are already in shock might be all that it takes.

It is a PERSONAL decision. Preaching to newbies is all fine and good......but chewing on someone who has seen 60+ years (or there-abouts) is like talking to a rock. At some point, comfort becomes just as important as safety. I often cruise around town without a helmet.

There is, however, a compromise too. I've ridden in 90 degree weather with a mesh jacket and long pants and helmet and it is bearable......until you come to a stop. Even that is too much if you get trapped in stop-and-go traffic.