Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #31
Sarris

Re: Helmet Recommendations?

Everybody is a comedian.

:skull:

DH, you may think the difference is "insignificant", but all the articles I've read, the MSF, and most peoples experience supports my statement above. Bikes handle and perform SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE with a higher load.

Ass, luggage, dog, parts, it doesn't matter. Passengers are typically the worst of all. They move and sqirm.

Set a 150 lb weight on your passenger seat and measure your acceleration, avoidance manuvers and braking distances. There is no bike that is not affected.

:whistle:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #32
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
That's why Sarris never has sex. Statistically speaking, more people over the age is 85 die from having sex than from riding motorcycles. He's just playing the odds.
Remember, it's not WHO you ride, it's THAT you ride!

Since I weigh 185+-, I've found that it's much safer to ride without myself on the bike.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #33
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

Gonna digress from the argument, which is a good one but comes down to the level of risk each individual rider is comfortable with, IMHO. I got that Proficient Motorcycling book last night, on the advice of a ton of you here on this forum, and I thought the stats about experience range vs likelihood of serious accident were really surprising.

Basically, you're about 50% more likely to have an accident during your first 6 months of riding (actually more than that, since the average factors in the first 6 months as well). Ok, no real shocker there. The surprising part was that you're even MORE likely to have an accident between 2-3 years of experience riding. The author theorizes that this is the point when riders start getting overconfident and pushing the envelope, plus when they start laying off the protective gear.

I thought that was relevant because that's about when I switched from full armor to jeans and a T-shirt (I still use a FF helmet, though. It's one of things where, once you get used to it, it's no big hassle.) I wish I had never gotten out of the habit of wearing full gear, too, since I want my wife to wear full gear when she starts riding here in a few weeks. So, I started wearing my gear again today for the first time and it about killed me (90 deg F here in NC). I'm going to suffer through it, though, and I do remember it being tolerable back when I was used to wearing it all the time.

Thank goodness I have a mesh jacket!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #34
bonehead

With the hottest July on record, daily temps well over 100f, I have gone to doo-rag, t-shirt and shorts for my 10 mile commute to work.(All back road). Tried the helmet and pants but started to get dizzy. Central TX. is burning UP!!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #35
YoungRider2010

I also bought the book. Its great.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #36
Krazy Kraut

My neighbour has a Full face GMAX helmet was under $100 and she loves it. It has 16 vents and it realy keeps her cool. She rode her buike from KS to Yellow stone and S. Dakota and back. She would never buy another one again.
I personetly have a Scorpion fullface and i love it. I would do LOTS of shopping and trying helmets. No matter what brans, as long as it fits right and is comfortable. (of course the price matters sometimes too).
Good luck!