Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #51
Easy Rider

Re: Proper parking protocol? And gear question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackman
I live in the desert and it was about a 95-100 degree day and my torso was at a cool 60-70 degrees :rawk: !
Might be worth a try and the price isn't too bad BUT.......
Notice that all the good testimonials come from the desert south west.....where they can use evaporative air conditioners because of the low humidity. I strongly suspect that it would not be nearly as effective, and maybe even counter productive, in places where the 100 degree temps are accompanied by 90% humidity......like the southern mid-west and south east.

The water in the vest needs to evaporate to provide any cooling effect.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #52
Zackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
I live in the desert and it was about a 95-100 degree day and my torso was at a cool 60-70 degrees :rawk: !
Might be worth a try and the price isn't too bad BUT.......
Notice that all the good testimonials come from the desert south west.....where they can use evaporative air conditioners because of the low humidity. I strongly suspect that it would not be nearly as effective, and maybe even counter productive, in places where the 100 degree temps are accompanied by 90% humidity......like the southern mid-west and south east.

The water in the vest needs to evaporate to provide any cooling effect.
Well you soak it in cool water to activate the material inside. It isn't actually evaporating that much, it is dry to the touch and is cool. It might still work, but I didn't think about that.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #53
Easy Rider

Quote:
It isn't actually evaporating that much, it is dry to the touch and is cool. It might still work, but I didn't think about that.
I think you haven't thought it through all the way. Several of the testimonials lament the fact that it has to be "refilled" every 30 to 45 minutes. That bit about "activating" something is just marketing hype.

If it was not for evaporation, the cool water you put on it would be HOT in about 5 minutes just from your body alone, never mind the 100 degrees on the outside too.

The inside is dry to keep the water off your body. The outside can not be "dry" or it wouldn't work.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #54
Zackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
It isn't actually evaporating that much, it is dry to the touch and is cool. It might still work, but I didn't think about that.
I think you haven't thought it through all the way. Several of the testimonials lament the fact that it has to be "refilled" every 30 to 45 minutes. That bit about "activating" something is just marketing hype.

If it was not for evaporation, the cool water you put on it would be HOT in about 5 minutes just from your body alone, never mind the 100 degrees on the outside too.

The inside is dry to keep the water off your body. The outside can not be "dry" or it wouldn't work.
Just speaking from experience. You roll it out with a towel and it is pretty much dry to the touch. I did stay cool for over 5 hours though.