Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
fg1234567892000

Gear Shifting

I have rode a motorcycle for about 6 months, 3 months of which I have spent with my GZ250. I have read the manual and at first really had to adjust to the gear ratio for shifting (my first bike was a 400). I have tried to stick to what the manual says about when to shift gears: Change to 2nd when you hit 12 mph, 3rd at 19, 4th at 25, 5th at 37. If anything, I go over this by a few mph, give or take. However, I've been reading a lot on the forums about riding in 4th clear up to 60 mph, especially when going up hills. I usually run the freeway in 5th at 65, and then when I hit a hill (which are moderately steep here in Iowa) I just crank the throttle and at worst I drop to 55 mph. Am I shifting up to 5th at the right frequency here? What is a good strategy for the high speeds/steep hills?

Thanks for the help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Gear Shifting

Sounds about right to me.you don't want to push the bike to hard.The bike is very rugged and will last many miles if cared for properly.My I ask why you down sized from a 400cc.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
diffluere

I think there's a whole thread about this somewhere. I can't imagine being in 3rd at 19mph!! Sometimes when I'm downshifting I accidentally take a turn in third and it feels like I'm never going to get there.

Here's what I do, but you can really do whatever you like the best:

1st to 2nd gear ~ 20
3rd ~ 35
4th~ 47
5th ~ honestly I get to go fast so rarely I can't even remember, but I know i've been going 60mph in 4th a few times.

I drive around town mostly, so it's pointless for me to shift all the way up to 5th. I rarely make it into 4th gear, especially because people around here can't read speed limit signs. Every time I go to work (seriously) the car in front of me goes 35 or 40 in the 45mph zone, and it's a 3 mile stretch of straight road. Ugh. I sing a little song I call 'I love 3rd Gear' to pass the time.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
fg1234567892000

I downsized out of both preference and necessity--I always really wanted a 250 as my starter bike. Also, in my area, I found it difficult to find a 400-500cc bike in my price range. Also, I wanted to go with something a bit new than my old (1981) bike.

And yes, I read a bit from the other thread but it didn't quite touch on the high speeds and larger hills that I really wondered about.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
alantf

Forget about mph/gear change. Once you get used to the engine sound, you'll be changing gear by listening to the engine. I can't remember ever looking at the speedometer to change gear. It's just not realistic. Different road conditions call for different speeds for the gear change, so its the engine revs, not the speed that counts. :2tup:

Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Always try to be in the appropriate gear for power if you need it. Listen to the bike, it will give you good feed back. As Alantf pointed out, the recommended shift points are not that realistic. It is probably more Lawyer Speak for do not break the bike till after the warranty expires.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg1234567892000
Change to 2nd when you hit 12 mph, 3rd at 19, 4th at 25, 5th at 37. I just crank the throttle and at worst I drop to 55 mph.
While I don't remember the exact numbers, in general the 1-2 number in the book is high and all the rest are low.

I couldn't bear to go above 10 in stock form in 1st but you can certainly up those other numbers. If you pay attention to what the engine sounds like in 1st at about 10 mph and make the other shifts at about the same point you should be OK.
Just guessing: 10, 25, 35, 45. You can, if the need arrises, run it for short distances in 4th about 55 (STEEP hills, which you don't have in Iowa except maybe Dubuque).

If you can learn to anticipate those hills and crank the throttle a little ways BEFORE you actually hit the incline it should make a good difference; maybe dropping only 5 mph instead of 10.

I got pretty good at that during my ride through the mountains of Tennessee.......even with the 16T front. When I was learning to drive, we called that technique "6 cylinder driving".
Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffluere
1st to 2nd gear ~ 20
WOW are you sure about that?
I think the little beast would be SCREAMING at 20 MPH in 1st. (NOT good).
I don't think I could bear to do that even after the front sprocket change.
(But then my memory could be off a bit too........) :roll:
Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
alantf

I know I get into 2nd as soon as the bike's moving. First is for setting off, & climbing mount everest. :biggrin:
Old 07-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Sarris

The GeeZer's redline is 8500+ rpm. I have a tach and I was surprised how much "powerband" there is. They are meant to rev, hence those 3000 mile oil changes. I like the powerband even better with the 16 tooth front sprocket. Using the engine's capability isn't abuse.