Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 03-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #31
Easy Rider

Re: Muffler Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyoulikeduckmeat
has any one considered putting dual exhaust on their bike or is this a bad idea? and if it is a bad idea why? :??:
You probably are the first......to propose having MORE mufflers than the total number of cylinders.......on ANY vehicle !!! :shocked: :biggrin:

No, not a good idea because just DOING it would be costly and a big pain getting another one mounted so that it didn't interfere with anything.......like chain maintenance.
Then there is the sound.....which might be truly wierd.
Then there is the lost back pressure, which might necessitate jetting changes......if you haven't already.
Then there is the added weight.

The other thing that probably is a bad idea is modifying the air intake (filter) without changing the jets in the carb. Have you done that ??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #32
doyoulikeduckmeat

Send a message via Yahoo to doyoulikeduckmeat

actually I did. I took the air flow restricter off. But I haven't had any problems at all. I know I should have adjusted the jets, but every thing I know about carbs (that isnt much) is that when you make a change see how it runs, make a small adjustment and try it again. If you make a change and it is still running fine why adjust the jets? Though I have been thinking about the jet mod that is listed on of the how to topics.

--
Yusef Moring
Subhana Rabbiyal 'Aadheem
Glory is to my Lord the Almighty
Old 05-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #33
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyoulikeduckmeat
actually I did. I took the air flow restricter off.
If that's the little scoop that pops off......that doesn't count. It is not a restricter, just a diverter to prevent bugs and water etc. from entering so easy. Any restriction it provides is miniscule.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #34
mrlmd1

If you took the restrictor off and increased the air flow, you would be running lean and hot, and then you have to change jets, etc, 'till you get it all balanced again.
All for very little gain, Best advice, leave it all alone and enjoy it for what it is, and you'll have no trouble with it.
Or if you do want to modify it, get some serious help and a lot more knowledge before you screw it up and then need professional help to fix it.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #35
majorgz

hey i just got a slip on from jc and do i have to shim the jets or can i just change the air fuel screw to make it richer. and what is the pipe in the muffler that you say not to cut threw. plan on putting the slip on next week but need to get it all done one day. because this bike is my daily drive since i dont have a car.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #36
blaine

Welcome to the forum.If the muffler you got has a baffle in it you will only need to do a idle mixture adjustment.When you cut off the old muffler just make sure you cut behind the mounting holes for the heat shield,as you will be reusing it.Good luck.
:cool:

Old 10-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #37
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorgz
hey i just got a slip on from jc and do i have to shim the jets or can i just change the air fuel screw to make it richer.
You probably won't HAVE to change anything. If it runs good and idles good, you may not have to change anything with the carb.

The first clue will probably be that you have to leave the choke on longer before you can turn it all the way off. If that happens, or it idles rough even when hot......then you will need to adjust the idle mixture screw......and then see how it goes after that.

It would probably be best to cut the muffler off with the pipes OFF the bike completely.......to avoid breaking the mounts, shields or the studs in the exhaust ports. If you do that, start soaking the manifold bolts with penetrating oil as early as possible the day of your project (or the night before). Having a new set of exhaust gaskets on hand would be a VERY good idea too since they might start to leak even of you do NOT take them off.

WD40 is NOT penetrating oil !!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #38
majorgz

thank you very much. i will let you all know how it goes i will put some pics on later
Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #39
majorgz

go the pipe on runs great no need to mess with the carb yet. maybe once i get the the air filter. thanks guys
Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #40
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorgz
go the pipe on runs great no need to mess with the carb yet. maybe once i get the the air filter. thanks guys
You can get a filter from Hiflo-Filtro that is about half the price or less of an O.E.M. filter.Part#HFA-3503.It is listed for the GS500 but is a drop in.Many aftermarket suppliers don't list a filter for the G.Z 250,but list for the GS500.
:cool: