Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
golem

Can the geezee handle longer road trips?

How realistic is it to make a trip from coast to coast on a GZ? I saw the thread about the person who did a trip to Alaska and back on a 30 000 miles old GZ but the man seems to be a riding machine.. Is the GZ able to handle some off road conditions?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by golem View Post
How realistic is it to make a trip from coast to coast on a GZ? I saw the thread about the person who did a trip to Alaska and back on a 30 000 miles old GZ but the man seems to be a riding machine.. Is the GZ able to handle some off road conditions?
Yes and no is the answer. This answer also applies to the rider too. Coast to coast is a long hard ride on a smaller bike.
No freeway travel as the GZ won't do the continuous higher speeds required. Stick to secondary hiways and enjoy the view. And will the rider be tough enough?? Depending on your endurance level and ability to deal with changing weather and road surfaces you may find a long ride a real challenge.
Another factor is your mode of sleeping arrangements. Camping and tenting means a lot of packing/unpacking and the time it consumes. This shortens your riding time and is another energy user which is better spent(in my case)in a hotel with a shower and a TV.
Offroad...............a gravel road is about as offroad as you may want. We found out that a freshly graded gravel road with a week's worth of rain is a real challenge but we made it without falling. Stick to paved roads for a more peaceful ride. The GZ will also be better riding on pavement as the suspension is not really great at soaking up potholes and bumps like an enduro.
If the bike is in good condition and the rider is younger with a sense of Adventure just go for it. Just take lots of pics to prove you did it to back up your stories.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Fawlty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
younger .
Yes! This is the key. If it feels good, do it.

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)

Old 01-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
golem

Thank you Water Warrior, you're the man. If you have any other tricks or opinions, I'd like to have them. Thanks
Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by golem View Post
Thank you Water Warrior, you're the man. If you have any other tricks or opinions, I'd like to have them. Thanks
Just go ride and make your own tricks and opinions to share. Of course you will need to be prepared for most weather so be prepared to actually buy some stuff on the road. I didn't have a rain suit on my first longer trip and nearly died from being wet and cold. When the body temp lowers so does your smarts. LOL. Oddly enough just a few days prior to that I was suffering from dehydration so bad that I had leg cramps for 48 hours and had to stay put in a very nice but expensive hotel.
My first long ride was an eye opener. I was unprepared for the changing weather and long hours in the saddle. Having done a bunch of day rides gave me confidence but multiday rides are different. Don't ride everyday. Take a day off and just rest while walking around and enjoying wherever you land. A day off allows for laundry, movies, a special meal, snooping about in interesting areas you would otherwise ride by. Take street clothes and get out into the sunshine too.
Take lots of stops for points of interest too. Visit National parks. Bryce Canyon is absolutely amazing and awe inspiring. Visit Mount Rushmore and go to Deadwood city to buy a Deadwood Dick T-shirt. The sky is the limit and only you can make the most of it.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #6
golem

Do you think the gz can handle two persons ( 95lbs wife and I) + gears or is it too much of a stretch? Do you think the Gz can overheat or something like that or it should be fine? I'm itching real bad to go see the other sides of this huge country..