Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
schooler94

Re: I can't figure it out..

The car has to be off? How does it charge then? Haha that's different... and I took apart the petcock, its not perfect but its in decent shape. The fuel flow looks fine to me

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Rookie Rider

Yes, car OFF !!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
schooler94

Haha alright thanks

Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
JWR

If it does not start the first time, always rock the kill switch.

Mine did not do this all the time, but it always started the second time if it did.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
schooler94

So just flip the kill switch on and off and try again? I've never heard of that

Old 10-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
JWR

A few of us have had to do this.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 10-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #17
schooler94

Alright thanks for the advice
Old 10-13-2012, 05:08 AM   #18
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooler94
When they cleaned the carb they put the idle at 3.5 turns which he said I shouldn't put it any higher.
If they're talking about the screw inside the carb, then fine....however the big white knob for adjusting the idle speed is something completely different. It doesn't matter how many turns you give it. It's there so that you can set the idle speed to between 1200 and 1400 RPM, with the engine fully warmed up, and the choke off.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooler94
Hey guys, I just joined the forums, and I've been having some problems with my '07 GZ250. Last Thursday night I rode it to school and it was pretty damn freezing after class (High 50's, cold for me) and my seat was wet with dew. I hopped on it and tried to start it and I wouldn't turn over. The battery was fine, the starter was fine, but it just wouldn't start. So I tried to start it with the choke all the way on for quite some time before it finally fired up. I let it warm up for a few minuted and froze my ass off the whole way home with no problems. I let it sit in my backyard for a few days while I was busy working and whatever, then I tried to start it up and it wouldn't start again! It wasn't even cold outside, probably like 75 degrees. Anyway, whenever I would try to start it after that it would take somewhere around 10 tries and then finally turn over (choke all the way on) and whenever I would let off the throttle, say to slow down at a stoplight, it would stall on me! Even with the choke all the way on... so I took it home, changed the spark plug, didn't help. I looked at the air filter to see if it was dirty, it looked pretty clean, but I can't see the inside, and I don't have an air compressor to blow it with. The housing was dry and spotless though. So, I figured it must be the carburetor. I removed it by myself (with absoltely no prior knowledge of anything to do with motorcycles, just little knowledge of cars) with the help of a users manual on this site. So I removed the carb and took it into a shop to have it professionally cleaned. I got it back yesterday and put everything together, and added a new inline fuel filter. I put in a gallon of fresh premium gas and tried to run it and the same thing happened. So I carefully drove it back to the shop and thhey said 50 bucks to check it out and fine tune everything. He said it probably just needs to be tuned now, so hopefully that's it and I don't need anymore work done. Anybody know what else it could be than just a tune? Thanks
The first trick to figuring out your problem is to isolate weather you have a fuel delivery problem or an electrical problem. Always my first suggestion is try to establish a pattern for when the engine wont run. Tip #1 is always check the SIMPLY things first. Do you have a clean sparkplug ? Another common cause of ill erratic running and stalling is rust sediment in the fuel tank clogging the fuel tank petcock. Also do some searching and read up on battery and charging checks. It can be done all with a multimeter, it's good knowledge. Here's a simple charging system DIY I put together :

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5879
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
BonChaton

schooler!

I'll be super interested to hear what your mechanic did if he figures it out. This sounds very very similar to the starting problem I have right now. (I posted right before you.)

Please let us know!

Thanks,
BonChaton