Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
FreyGrimrod

Removing Rear Turn Signals?

I tried searching but my forum fu is low apparently. I replaced the rear plastic bracket on my 2001 GZ250 but can't for the life of me figure out how to dismantle the turn signals to snake the wires through the new plastic bracket that holds them to the bike? Someone here must have done this had the light apart in a buncha pieces looks like there might be a metal tab that if forced with pliers? Anyone?

Thank you for your time and help!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Removing Rear Turn Signals?

Go to Ronayers.com and their fiche files. Lookup GZ250 electrical. Signals and get an exploded view of the signal. Should help.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
FreyGrimrod

Hrm actually had it farther apart than they show in the exploded diagram by two pieces of the turn signals. That site is AMAZING though totally bookmarked!

*edit* reading through a copy of the service manual increasingly looking like I gotta rip the seat off and everything else to disconnect the wire back near the center of the bike? seems like a foolish design to me but ah well... perhaps I might just cut and resplice the wires

Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyGrimrod
Hrm actually had it farther apart than they show in the exploded diagram by two pieces of the turn signals. That site is AMAZING though totally bookmarked!

*edit* reading through a copy of the service manual increasingly looking like I gotta rip the seat off and everything else to disconnect the wire back near the center of the bike? seems like a foolish design to me but ah well... perhaps I might just cut and resplice the wires
Shouldn't be much of a problem. The seat removes with a turn of the key. Follow the wires from the tail light and signals to a point where they are most likely plugged in or connected to something. The design may seem a bit silly but this is not a car or a house. Most bikes have a similar wiring design.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
alantf

Might be mistaken, but I thought the cables ran under the chrome side pieces at the side of the rear mudguard.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Might be mistaken, but I thought the cables ran under the chrome side pieces at the side of the rear mudguard.
I'm working on old memory only. No bike to go and check. You might be entirely correct as I haven't looked at the signal/tail light wiring on a GZ since 2006/2007. After that it was just Lynda riding the bike and me changing the oil.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
FreyGrimrod

They do indeed only seem to disconnect under the seat up at the battery and run under the chrome so removed the rear seat saddlebags and chrome and had to half pop the rear fender as the wires go through a tiny hole in the rear fender with no grommet surprisingly enough. Everything seems to be working now just need to get it inspected :biggrin:
Old 07-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
mrgz250

you take off the side covers & the chrome piceses & rear fender than un plug the leads & get new washers plastic x2 & rout them the way you took it out put together in reverse
order take your time