Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

SS32 Windshield for Accessories International

Well, I got my windshield today, and so far, it's not going that great. The UPS guy thought it might be broken in the box becuases there was stuff clanging around in there. I listened but it sounded like the mounting hardware, so I accepted deliver (BIG MISTAKE!)

I opened it up and the windshield was fine, and the noise was the mounting hardware, which had broken loose from it's shrink wrap/cardboard packing material. Unfortunately, one of the sheet metal parts was missing apparently having it worked it's way out the unsealed bottom of the box. Also, the holes in the main sheet metal bracket that goes across the back of the windshield were not accurately aligned with the ones in the windshield and to get it mounted you have to force it. This causes the rubber grommet in the hole to bulge out like a herniated disc.

Furthermore, in spite of the fact that I switched to a different windshield than the one (Sarris?) recommended so I could get an exact fit to the forks on the GZ, the mounting brackets are huge - not even close to the right size. I'd have to wrap the tubes in two thick towels for there to be any grip. It's just the wrong size mounting kit, period.

So I'm missing parts, got the wrong size mounting kit and the grommets are popping out. And I'm only on step A of the installation. This is why I normally do not venture into add-ons. If I can send the whole thing back, I will, and I'll have a dealer put one on.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: SS32 Windshield for Accessories International

A little forcing and buldging of rubber grommets is normal. It keeps the parts under pressure that they don't wiggle loose. But, if it's ridiculously eye-poppping bulding that we are talking about, then something's not right; which seems to be case since everything else is so Fubar-ed.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Well, I got my windshield today, and so far, it's not going that great.

So I'm missing parts, got the wrong size mounting kit and the grommets are popping out. And I'm only on step A of the installation. This is why I normally do not venture into add-ons. If I can send the whole thing back, I will, and I'll have a dealer put one on.
No disrespect intended but this kind of outcome doesn't surprise me too much! :biggrin:

A really LOT of people go through exactly what you described on their first windshield, even if they order an "exact match" for a listed model. For a bike "not listed", it's even more likely.

You should insist on sending it back for a refund because it wasn't packed properly, they lied about the brackets, etc. etc.

I have a recommendation for you......and others, now that I have mine situated. Will give more details and some pictures this weekend. Also search for the pictures that Bad Bob posted last year. Between him and spouse, they probably have 10X the miles of the next closest GZ rider.
Experience IS (usually) the best teacher.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Moedad

That :curse: sucks, Alan. :cuss:
Old 09-26-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

I called today and the guy gave me a sort of "iffy" RMA. He kind of said something to the effect of, if there was any indication I had attempted to install it, they can't take it back. If I wasn't distracted with greater concerns, like the potentially imminent collapse of Western civilization, I would have pointed out why his attitude indicated out-sized balls, but, since I had the RMA, I let it go. I'll let you know if I get an actual refund.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm probably one of the least talented on here mechanically, but I'm not a complete novice. I have pretty extensive set of tools and such and I've used every one of them. I have done some tricky assed joinery that would probably impress many of you manlier men, and I know my way around routing table, table saw, chop saw - all of which are in the garage, plugged in and ready to go. (Yeah, I know, too bad the bike isn't made out of wood.) My point is, I know the difference between a tricky installation and crap quality control. On the ill-fitting horizontal strap, one side lined up just fine. It should have been symmetrical, but it wasn't. Simple matter of making sure the holes were drilled in the sheet metal in the right place...

If I'd paid 79 bucks for the thing, I would understand, and I would have effed with it to make it work. But for $229 I expected something decent and this did not meet my expectations.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SLIP-STR ... 0064888027

:2tup:

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 09-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Enough of this.
I say get their address, drive down there and eat their brains.

A$$holes!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
gzrider

I used the brand Slipstreamer a couple of times and there has never been a problem with them mounting up.They are sold as universal, You can go to their website see the models and measurements, and order the windscreen at your local dealer. They dont sell direct. I've had only good experience with these windshields. This one is around 16 in high and 14 in wide. They are cheap, this one was only $79, the largest one was around $135, Seems reasonable to me.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Re: Accessories International: RMA accepted and credit received

Accessories International accepted my RMA for the windshield and credited me $159 bucks. I think I paid more than that, plus I'm out shipping and handling (If I recall correctly the total was over $200.) Perhaps they popped me for a "re-stocking fee."

I will probably go through a dealer for my next try. It's not easy to do that either since I kind of use the bike every day, but I'm going to try and coordinate something for my next trip out of town.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 AM   #10
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Alan, get the slipstreamer ... you wont be disappointed. Going through the dealer ... they will ass rape you like you were a new inmate at a prison.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook