Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Ian

How Do You Make Extra Money?

So I've been out of work a while now due to a lay off. In the past months I've been trying to boost my EI (employment insurance) income by doing little jobs on the side for cash. I've picked up a few freelance design jobs here and there as well as being paid every now and again for performing at shows and selling a few books.

But I want to explore more options. Google and blogs seem to always have the same list saying:

Collect and Sell Scrap Metal
Sell Your Jizz
Ebay Things from Around the House

Most of the lists suck, involve way to much bullshit or are just not set for the average person. So I thought we could all share some ideas since theres a good chance many of us won't overlap and steal work from each other. Ya know, with the internets and all.

So, how do you boost your monthly income?
How can you make a quick or slow buck?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: How Do You Make Extra Money?

I flip vehicles on Craigslist sometimes, but that can be a hassle and I honestly just get tired of it.
I did scooter and motorcycle parts for a while. Scout for certain markets on Ebay, ship order parts from China and undercut the competition... It's a little back handed, as a business, but most parts places are making an absolute killing selling the exact same product. It's income for you and a better option for the consumer, so everyone wins.

We have a local used books/cd/dvd place around here called McKay's that will purchased your used good either for store credit, which means no taxes, or they will write you a check. Most family and friend are always willing to just give away books and cds, since no one uses them anymore. It will help keep print circulating, which is a media that I fear is being killed off, and it's better than going to a landfill and you'll pocket some cash.

Its's not really a good time to recycle aluminum. It used to be pretty viable, but aluminum isn't worth what it used to be.

You can trade your services or goods via Craigslist or you can search out your local freegan or trade network. People forget that you don't always have to use money. Give some things away, build a rapport with the local community and you'll be surprised at how much bartering still goes on in the world.

Also: http://fiverr.com/
Hit those people up or simply broadcast yourself.

MODS: Ian is a real person.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I have been scouring my brain for the name of the local groups that host websites for people who wish to give away things and trade good and services.

It's www.freecycle.org

Old 03-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
alantf

No one uses books anymore? What a sad world it's turning into. At my age, I was brought up with books. People still buy me them for Christmas. To name but one author -Wilbur Smith - My bookshelf has every book he's ever written. I pick one up, and immediately I'm transported to darkest africa. Ian Fleming's James Bond becomes the spy with a vintage car and a beretta - not the gadget ridden moron of the big screen. What will people do to exercise their imagination when books finally vanish? Like I said - sad old world. :poorbaby:
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

It is... I love print, but people are so over-saturated with electronic text now that they see no reason to actually hold a physical copy of something in their hands. Aside from simply the imaginative and cognitive benefits of reading a book, there is also something very tactile about the whole experience that is being lost in the process.

It is sad.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
mrlmd1

And the smell of a book is lost on the electronic screen.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
JWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
And the smell of a book is lost on the electronic screen.

There is an app for that.

Sent from my iSomething.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
mrlmd1

:lol:
Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Books used to be a very large part of my life. There is nothing to compare with a comfy chair and foot stool, nearby coffee and a good pocket book.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
bpdchief

My wife is after me to get a NOOK or KINDLE. :fu: I say!!! For me a comfy chair by the fire, my pipe and a good book. Micheal Palin, Bill Bryson, Frances Mayes are fabulous wordsmiths.

Oh sure, you can store 1000's of books on those fancy electronic devices, but, to lose yourself in the pages of a real book... to smell the ink or binding glue - that is living!! :2tup: