Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #31
antipeterleague

Re: Small oil leak on cooling fins

Update: got the parts. 4 bolts and 2 exhaust washers. Installed them and tightened bolts to torque spec (14nm). Now when I start the bike there's exhaust coming out from where the exhaust pipes are bored onto the engine. No signs of oil yet but just a bit of smoke. Is this normal?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #32
PimpS

Antipeterleague, i can't help you with that, i'm putting my pics of my similar problem...
Today, on ,my Geezer, 2000, with 13480 km on it (put on 5300 km in 4 months of riding), which propably kind of shooked up the engine, found this:

The oil level is still ok, but i hope the leak is not from many places; it looks like the oil comes out from the center gasket (you can see the drops being made). I hope the gasket will be in my hands soon to fix it). What do you think?

Thank you all!

Take care!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #33
PimpS

The exhaust pic:

Old 07-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #34
antipeterleague

hey, hard to tell what yours is, but after i replaced the gaskets, i see no more oil leaking from the area (or anywhere else) all i noticed was on first startup a bit of exhaust fumes coming from the joint, but i figured it was just the gasket settling in. no more leaks, fumes, and the bike feels a bit more responsive.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #35
PimpS

Cool! Good that you sort it out!

Mine case got a bit serious; in the morning when i checked the oil level, just after i started the GZ, was the oil level below LOW. I decided to go with a car. This evening a friend mechanic came by to check it, we didn't start the bike, oil level was a bit more than low. The difference was propably, cause when the engine was idling, while i was putting my gloves and helmet on, the oil went cruising through the engine... My explanation, or I was too nervous in the morning.
I told him, that i planned to leave to seaside again on the sunday (about 300 km) and he gave me some brake cleaner spray, to clean the oil, go and for the oil, put it in till Full, and go for a 50 km ride to check where and how many oil will come out.
If the level won't go down a lot, he said take 2 litres of oil and go for a cruise to seaside, but not full throttle in high rpm...
I already ordered the gasket, since the drops where a bit more on place where gasket is.
I'll see, i'll deal with it later tommorow...

Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #36
Water Warrior 2

You are best off checking the oil in the morning when the bike is cold. All the oil runs down into the bottom overnight and gives you a more true level. Hold the bike upright and check the level. Do not check with the bike leaning on the side stand.
If you want to check the engine oil when the engine is hot and has been running for a while you must wait 3 minutes minimum for the oil to drain down.
You can check while sitting on the bike and using a telescoping mechanics mirror. Much safer and easier than kneeling down and balancing the bike.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #37
alantf

I don't even do that. If I can see oil in the bottom of the glass, with the bike on the stand, I know that I can proceed to the next step. I grab the throttle & pull the bike upright. If I see oil shoot up the glass, I know I'm good to go. I do this every time I take the bike out of the garage, & the method's never let me down yet.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #38
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
I don't even do that. If I can see oil in the bottom of the glass, with the bike on the stand, I know that I can proceed to the next step. I grab the throttle & pull the bike upright. If I see oil shoot up the glass, I know I'm good to go. I do this every time I take the bike out of the garage, & the method's never let me down yet.
Simple and effective. KISS at it's best.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #39
PimpS

Hello!

I have located the leak, I can't put the pictures, but I'll explain: the leak is around one of the top screws on the cilinder, i saw the leak, after i dislocated the chromed cosmetic cap above the cilinder. First filler up was 0,75 dcl of oil (from minimum to full). After 100km, the oil level is pretty the same as it was. I'm going for a ride tommorow on the concert and on sunday 300 km to croatian seaside. With oil in the bags of course

Please enlighten me the KISS initials, i forgot.
Thanks and drive safe guys!

PimpS
Old 08-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #40
JWR

Keep it simple, Stupid.

KISS

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."