Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 05-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #21
alantf

Re: Modulating Rear Brake Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
solder
And make sure the hot soldering iron doesn't go anywhere near the sleeve, otherwise it'll shrink before you slide it into position.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #22
dvsDave

The Hyperlites kit actually comes with posi-taps, so no soldering needed.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Dang, that's what I forgot. Yes they do come with enough posi-taps and odds and ends to do a complete install. All I needed to do was tap into the wiring under the seat and whoopee......we got flashing HyperLights. If it would have been a hard job or grief filled I would have remembered.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #24
mrlmd1

Then you don't need and can't use anyway the heat shrink tubing.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #25
HumbleNewRider

I know this is an old topic, but I want to share info for anyone searching on this topic. I just recently bought the Comagination's head and brake light modulators. I bought them before checking the forum, and before seeing see that they might have a short life. However, they are relatively cheap. Buy, as the saying goes --- you get what you pay for (both in quality and customer service).

I'll add that I've been disappointed with the customer service and installation instructions. The instructions posted on the vendor's website had incorrect wiring directions, which contradicted the instructions that came with the modulators. And, the instructions repeatedly warn you that if the modulators are wired incorrectly, the warranty is void. (I contacted the vendor to clarify the wiring. They said they have now corrected the instructions.)

BUT, the instructions also specify that the "only recommended install method" is use 2 brake lights --- an LED brake light that is wired to flash and the factory brake light which should be left to work normally (solid lighting). HOWEVER, the wiring instructions only address two different methods. One is for wiring only the factory brake light to flash. (There is a diagram for that.) The second instruction is for wiring an LED light in parallel with the factory brake light so they both flash.

I wanted to follow their "only recommended install method," which they state is safer. I agree. So, wrote the vendor twice, trying to get instructions for their "only recommended install method." They would not provide any. :??:

I found that unbelievable! On top of that, the website boast the modulator is easy to install. But the vendor told me they are easy for an experienced technician to install. The vendor said I should take the modulator to a technician to install --- or return them within 30 days for a refund. They really didn't care if I bought them or not. :poke2:

I will add that the headlight modulator was pretty easy to install. (The modulator is bigger than it appears in the photos -- as you don't see a side view. It was a very tight fit in the GZ250's headlight.) Actually, the brake light modulator is relatively easy to install also, once you understand what to do to install it in the recommended method. Ultimately I called the vendor to ask for help. (I got the impression the vendor is just one guy w/ a part time business in his garage.) He was somewhat cold and indifferent, but he did help me understand how to install the brake light modulator. I suspect he's just socially challenged -- and/or he's got a lot of stress going on right now.

Ultimately, I got the help I needed and he was willing to issue a refund. But, I would not recommend the Comagination modulators either.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
Water Warrior 2

The Comagination brakelight modulator is a challenge to install first time round. Have one on the Vstrom since 2006. Works fine with the OEM brakelights and and extra brighter LED brakelight tied in together. That said, I would go with Hyperlights next time as I was just thrilled with the ease of installation and stress free instructions when doing up Lynda's M-50 after she gave me a list of "I want on my bike soonest". They are easily the best bang for your buck in my opinion.
Another option is the Whelan product line of lights. They are the folks who make the pretty flashing lights for LEO cruisers. There are a number of lights that will work well on a bike and those who use them are happy with them. Just be sure not to install them incorrectly or they will modulate or flash to imitate a patrol car. You might make new friends with a badge and handcuffs.