Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 08-22-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
DroidHoff

Baron Engine Guard?????

Has anybody tried these or know of someone who has? http://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz55855 ... medium=cse I am 6ft and I've read the MC ones may interfere with the clutch / brake having a larger shoe size. I can't seem to find any installed pictures. Thanks,

Andrew

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-22-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Baron Engine Guard?????

Ask them if they have any pics(2 or 3 views) of the bar installed on a GZ.

After a second look they may work nicely. Your large boots may fit inside of the verticle portion of the bars. Looks to be wide enough to do that.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
DroidHoff

I just finished my email to them asking for the dimensions of the guard, as well as any pictures they may be able to supply. For comparison can someone get the dimesions of the MC gaurd both laterally at the top / bottom and vertically? This way I can interpolate the difference when / if they send back a reply. Thanks!

Sent from my Moto Droid using Tapatalk

Old 08-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
DroidHoff

Okay so the product manager emailed me back, he didn't give me any specs but he did tell me that it was fashioned to fit the same way their Engine guard for the V Star250 model does and gave me this link http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/dis ... index.html He also said that he is 6'2 and wears a size 12 and that the bar does not get in the way for him although if someone were to ride with their feet angled outward that they may touch the bar. He also said that they make mounts for highway pegs for the bar if I was interested. These guys seem very trustworthy in my opinion so I am going to order one soon and let you all know how it goes!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Those are good looking bars with a fair bit of room on the inside. Bonus is they will do a fair job of protecting the bike in a drop. A little on the high side price wise but they are probably a limited production product so the $ will reflect that.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Check out MC Enterprizes for crash bars, tail racks and other stuff that is shiney. The bars don't look quite a good as the Barons but maybe that's just me.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
kirk

Just got the Baron's Engine Guard out of the shipping box. Will install it later and update with more information about clearance, etc.
For now - the measurements are 25 inches center-to-center from side to side.
From top to bottom, it is slightly trapezoidal. At its widest point (which is the centerline where it hooks up to the frame), it's about 12.5 inches center-to-center from top to bottom
At its narrowest out at the edge, its about 11 inches center-to-center from top to bottom.
Top bar across is straight, at the bottom is where the supports angle downward.
Its hefty - weighs in at 9lbs. Since its at the front of the bike though maybe this will add to stability?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Christmas came early for you. Can you post a few pics after the install ?? There aren't that many bars for the GZ so anything that we find is a bonus.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
kirk

The guard was an easy install, the only issue was the new bracket hole for remounting the horn was a bit too small, had to be filed out slightly for the horn mounting screw to fit. Probably from the chroming process.
I wear a size 9 boot and it does interfere a bit when shifting. After a few minutes riding you get used to it, need to be very precise with where your foot is on the peg when shifting, but not a showstopper. I think though if your foot is any bigger it could be troublesome.
Right side brake pedal is no problem since you're coming down from the top. Its only when upshifting I found I was pulling up on the bar and not the shifter.
Bar itself is very nice quality, chrome is shiny and the brackets all line up precisely.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Looking good. Now you have someplace to hang some LED driving lights for better visibility to oncoming cagers.