Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Bouncer

Luggage

So I want to add some luggage to my gz, but im not sure which one is best. Which do you guys prefer or have? Side saddlebags, sissy bar bags, trunks, roll ups, etc...

is installation easy? Any cheap places with good quality products?

I'm kinda tired of having a backpack on while riding, especially with my vest on the way haha

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Luggage

There are really only a few thousand choices so it should be quite easy. :lol: It seems most cruiser type bikes end up with leather or similar bags. I bought textile bags for Lynda's GZ and they were quite satisfactory for some time. With her M-50 she opted for Nelson-Rigg textile bags and a matching top bag. These are an excellant product with a great warranty. A bit more than some products but more than worth the difference in $
Some of the members here have mounted aftermarket hard bags and like them.
That said, you are the only judge of what you need for daily use and what you may want to pack along. If you plan on parking the bags with anything valueable in the bags you want a lockable bag. Hard bags are generally waterproof too. Some textile products are waterproof or water resistant............sort of. Most come with a plastic rain cover that will blow off at higher speeds.
Do a search on the net for motorcycle bags. Check Ebay and Craig's list for other choices.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
alantf

[attachment=0:28v3n6cm]b61.jpg[/attachment:28v3n6cm][attachment=1:28v3n6cm]b3.jpg[/attachment:28v3n6cm]

This is my setup. I use the bike as a workhorse - groceries, tools etc, so the BIG back box is ideal. I wish, though, that I'd bought hard side boxes, as the saddlebags don't seem to hold much. The tank bag is expandable, and I use it when the box & bags are full. The GZ can handle as much weight as I can throw at it, with no real difference to handling. It just depends on what you plan to carry.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
northsidegz

For whatever it is worth, I had the common small Suzuki saddlebags on my GZ. They were fine, but I couldn't really carry much in them. At the time, I didn't think much of it and if I needed to get groceries, I took my car.

I bought the Vulcan and it came with Willie & Max saddlebags and wow, what a difference. Much larger and way more useful. And now I can even ride my bike more to places like the grocery store!!!

I once didn't like saddlebags (who knows why), but now I love 'em. And the bigger, the better (sort of). I really like the usefulness of them.

That said, I haven't owned a tank bag, fork bag or trunk yet. So I can't speak to those. But I will say, if you get saddlebags, don't get cheap small ones. I really recommend making sure you get some that are good size (17" x 12" x 6" ---- something like that) and you'll be glad you did.

Side note (in case it is not known): If you buy leather saddlebags from like Craigslist or something, you'll need to buy brackets too (so the bags don't hit your back wheel). I've seen motorcycles without brackets and i've seen saddlebags flopping about and I just think to myself, "Now there's a bad accident waiting to happen!"
Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Way back when, I think 2007 we had a thread about home made brackets. Seems to me some one made some effective brackets just using flatiron and 4 bolts to attach them. The chrome pieces on the side of the rear fender have threaded bolt holes in the underside. Simple hand tools and a little time would save a bunch of money compared to Suzuki brackets.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
Maggie

I have the Suzuki saddlebags and...drumroll...last week I got a trunk (thanks alantf for inspiring me!). I love it! Not too expensive...maybe $80. Emgo brand. A little cheesy, but it carries my stuff. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Bestemusa also makes less expensive top boxes that are quite good.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Bouncer

Thanks for all the info, very helpful... I'm kinda leaning toward the tail bag for now, just because it's convenient for now..
Will let you know how that works
Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
kentmmcdonald

Re: Luggage-24 Gallon Grocery Getter

Here is my homemade luggage; the "24 Gallon Grocery Getter".

I used:
24 Gallon Rubbermaid Action Packer-$50.00
2 padlocks- $ flexible
15" x 24" plywood scrap-$0.51
Brackets from a used rear seat -$30.00
3 Simpson Strong Ties (LSTA9) aluminum ties-$3.00

Note: you will need a longer 6mm hex wrench for the rear bracket; mine came with my Craftsman set.

I removed the brackets from the rear seat, painted the plywood and installed the brackets, installed the aluminum ties in the bottom of the Action Packer, screwing them into the plywood (insure ease of driver seat removal). ***You must insure you provide a hole in the plywood and the Action Packer for the hex wrench to get to the rear bracket; and take into account the angle."

Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Right on dude. It ain't all that pretty but is does the job. Yeah, I'm a function before form kind of guy. Apparently you are too. The box is very durable too. I've had the 90 gallon model in the back of my Ranger for 5 years and it still looks new.