Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 12-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
rickmillertx

Relocation of foot pegs/controls

I would like to re-position the foot controls from the cruiser style to standard bike position. Like the Suzuki GN250. I have been unable to find a GN250 to look at in person to see if I could salvage controls from one. I'm unaware of any aftermarket controls.

I can find aftermarket controls if I can come up with the mounting spot. Has anyone seen or done something like this?

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You're talking about extending the gear shift linkage and rerouting and remounting the brake controls. Finding a new place for pegs would be easy, but doing the other things wouldn't be.

It's not impossible, mind you. But it's more work than the novice may want to take on. How much experience do you have wrenching on things?

Truth be told, I thought about this quite a bit back when I had the bike, including extending the pegs forward as well. The issue that you're going to run into is that, unless you're quite short, a more standard footing position isn't going to look or feel very natural with the more laid back seat style. If you don't also change the seating position, you're going to have a very tight bend at the knee which isn't going to be comfortable.

You'll be looking at a lot of work if you dive headfirst into this and I don't want you throwing a lot of money and effort at something that might be uncomfortable or not work right. So just take all that into consideration.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
rickmillertx

Thanks for your response. I'm 6'3" and the current riding position puts me right on my tailbone when riding. Not comfortable. My thoughts are if I could get my feet more under my butt it would be more comfortable.

I know I would have to fabricate a new subframe for the back of the bike to raise the seat level. If I could achieve the seat to peg relationship like a GN250 then I would keep the bike. It might be cheapest to just change out the frame.

Otherwise, I will probably end up selling.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
Goose51683

I have close to the same issue, or at least I did. I'm 6 ft so I'm just on the verge of feeling to big for the bike. Since i'm going more with a bobber style and removed the entire seat, and back fender I have actually been working on making a seat and positioning it further back from the tank. From the mock ups I've done it feels like a better fit for me.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
ImaginativeFig

Shoo, I'm 5'6" and sometimes feel a bit large for the bike (similar stuff with the tail bone + leg configuration), maybe I just don't know how to sit.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Goose51683

I have a hard time finding a position. If I learn back with my arms straight, my harnds get tired, if I lean forward my lower back gets tired.

Hence trying to move the entire seat back a bit.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Just for experimentation you could get a piece of very dense foam to put on the stock seat to boost you up a bit. This might give your legs a little more room. If it works it is a cheap fix, if not it is a cheap experiment.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Goose, while riding, slide your ass back to the pillion seat and see how that feels. You'll get to stretch your legs out and the controls stay in the same position.

There are a couple of threads detailing how to recover the stock seat and how to add foam to it. A former member, Sarris, and I contacted loads of seat manufacturers, custom leather workers and even measures all the different angles of junkyard motorcycles and couldn't come up with anything that would be a straight custom replacement, so pulling the factory seat, adding/removing/shaving foam is going to be your best bet. You can also connection the pillion seat to the front seat, creating one piece of seat, and then shave that to allow for seating further back. I believe the member's name was Tankawa who did this, but I may be mistaken.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
rickmillertx

I purchased an Airhawk seat cushion and that has helped, but it is just a temporary solution in my opinion. Part of my problem is that my main road going bike is a Ducati and I'm very comfortable with the sport bike riding position. I just feel right when my feet are up under me instead of out front.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmillertx View Post
I purchased an Airhawk seat cushion and that has helped, but it is just a temporary solution in my opinion. Part of my problem is that my main road going bike is a Ducati and I'm very comfortable with the sport bike riding position. I just feel right when my feet are up under me instead of out front.
I had a similar experience. After spending a lot of time on my Vstrom I rode Lynda's M-50 Cruiser and had a dickens of a time finding the foot pegs. I like the pegs under my body with a sit up and beg position typical of a standard bike. Oddly enough I found the GZ a very good fit.