Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
chandlerbingfl

Is there a "sweet spot" when downshifting?

I've got a 2009 GZ'r, ~3800 miles, owned it for about 5 months now. Had some minor issues but all in all am quite happy w/ the bike itself. I've noticed that sometimes downshifting it can be quite "clunky" and at other times not so much. For the most part I usually wait till it's barely moving (say approaching a light) before downshifting. As I said sometimes it's clunky other times not... Is this normal? Does it help if one blips the throttle in order to have the gears sync up prior to downshifting. Open to your input, appreciated in advance.

chandlerbingfl

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Is there a "sweet spot" when downshifting?

I think you will find your downshifts less "clunky" if you downshift at a little higher speed letting the gears slow the bike as you shift.Blipping the throttle can help if done properly with the clutch,but I found it unnecessary with the G.Z.
:rawk: :2tup:

Old 10-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
mole2

I found all the downshifts to be ok expcept downshifting into first. It always clunked into first...it's how I knew for sure it was first. lol

Old 10-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Viirin

My bike's the same as mole2's - i only get the clunk noise when i shift into 1st but it lets me know i'm there

Like blaine said - shift down at a higher speed and use the lower gears as a sort of brake - only i don't personally let the clutch out straight away as i find it a bit rough - maybe over about 1 and a half seconds - i think it gives the engine a chance to "catch up" to the higher revs needed at a lower gear - but you don't want to do it any slower than that or else you'll be coasting which has problems of it's own

Is the clunkieness always happening when you shift down or only when you shift more than once eg from 4th - 2nd without letting the clutch out in between? on my bike this is far more clunky than single shifts

Vii
Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viirin

Is the clunkieness always happening when you shift down or only when you shift more than once eg from 4th - 2nd without letting the clutch out in between? on my bike this is far more clunky than single shifts

Vii
If you double downshift like you describe you risk doing damage to your transmission,thus the extra noise & clunks.The transmission was designed to be downshifted one gear at a time.
:2tup: :rawk:

Old 10-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Sarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viirin
only i don't personally let the clutch out straight away as i find it a bit rough - maybe over about 1 and a half seconds - i think it gives the engine a chance to "catch up" to the higher revs needed at a lower gear
That's why you "blip" the throttle while down shifting as you release the clutch.

Also, I don't downshift to first until I'm at a very low speed roll or at a full stop.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
For the most part I usually wait till it's barely moving (say approaching a light) before downshifting. As I said sometimes it's clunky other times not... Is this normal?
Good answers so far.

Yes it's "normal" if you insist on shifting that way BUT that's really not good, mechanically or for safety.

It is important that the gear you are in roughly matches the speed you are going.
Starting in 5th, close the throttle. When the engine speed is nearing idle, it's time for 4th; if this is a casual stop, engage the clutch and as the engine slows again, go to 3rd.

The transition from 4-3-2 will probably be fairly quick and there is no real need to engage the clutch in between. The key is don't wait until the very end to make all 4 shifts. Only the last one, 2-1 needs to be at walking speed.

I think that "blipping the throttle" in normal riding is really useful ONLY because it makes you concentrate more on the mechanics of the shift. It is necessary only for "power shifts" at high RPMs......which is kind of a joke with a GZ (and can be dangerous too if your technique is off a bit).
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Is the bike ready for an oil change ?? Clunky shifting can be a sign that you may need an oil change. Oil does break down due to the shear forces of the gears constantly spinning. Motorcycle specific oils are made to withstand the shear forces longer than cage oils.
Just an additional thought. Is the idle set a little too low ?? The internal parts may not be spinning quite fast enough to be happy.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Just an additional thought. Is the idle set a little too low ?? The internal parts may not be spinning quite fast enough to be happy.
Can't believe I missed that; thank you.

Having the idle speed WAY too high can be a problem too......as can not closing the throttle all the way.

There is, apparently, somewhat of a "sweet spot" for the idle speed.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":2gn20m87
Can't believe I missed that; thank you.

Having the idle speed WAY too high can be a problem too......as can not closing the throttle all the way.

There is, apparently, somewhat of a "sweet spot" for the idle speed.[/quote:2gn20m87]
Easy you have a slight case of Old Guy Syndrome............ :lol: And we all know we sometimes look for the hard stuff instead of just the easy fixes.