Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
zuluanshee

Need recommendation for mechanic east Orlando area

My bike has been out of commission for about a year and I've decided to get it fixed. (It's an electrical problem)Thing is I'm not fully employed so I need someone honest. I am willing to pay anyone what is reasonable, but I really need someone who can do it without gouging me. I'm hoping this will be under $200 bucks because I can't really spend more than that.

I live in the eastern part of Orlando and so I would need someone in that general area.

Like I say the bike has been setting for a year and so the battery will be dead. The bike has been out of the elements (on a carport actually), but it is dusty and has cobwebs on it.

Thanks in advance. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Need recommendation for mechanic east Orlando area

What was the electrical problem? Did you have it properly diagnosed before or are you just guessing? These bikes have a few very common issues that we might be able to help you troubleshoot through on your own and that won't cost you any money.

There is also a trouble shooting guide in the repair manual that is available for download in the MAINTENANCE section of the forum.

We're all here to help. Put your noodle to work and bounce some ideas off of us. We'll see if we can't get it knocked out.

First things first from your end, get the bike out of storage, wash it and charge the battery.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
What was the electrical problem?
In other words - what were the symptoms? We need to know before we can help you. :cool:

Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
zuluanshee

Here is the problem, but I don't know anything about the instruments they're talking about and I don't really have the time or money to invest in them, unless they are very cheap.

http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4413
Old 06-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
alantf

Well.............a multimeter will set you back around $3 to $5. Any cheapo meter will do the job. Let us know when (if?) you get one, then we can walk you through the tests. Until you get one, it's no use for us to suggest anything, because we'd only be guessing.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Reading back over the recommendations from your last post, did you check to make sure that all of your connections at the battery were snug and secure?

You can get multi-meters from Wal-mart anywhere between $3-$10. And the $10 ones will last you for the rest of your life and can be used to diagnose all kinds of issues that you never thought possible. A digital read-out makes reading the gauge stupid-proof. That's the kind I have because I'm an electrical dunce.

Given that the electrics just suddenly quit working directly after a ride, it's almost guaranteed that this is something simple. Either the battery cables jiggled loose, you blew a fuse somewhere, or the ignition switch somehow went bad. I'm not really sure how you could go about checking the switch, but I'm sure there is something in the service manual about that. It's also possible that a short as developed in a frayed wire somewhere, but that should be traceable enough too.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluanshee

Like I say the bike has been setting for a year and so the battery will be dead. The bike has been out of the elements (on a carport actually), but it is dusty and has cobwebs on it.

Thanks in advance. :2tup:
Sounds like a great home for mice and chewed wires. Time to take off the tank, seat and side covers for an inspection.

Ditto for the meter. They are worth their weight in gold. Another great tool is a test light. Super cheap and no tool box should be without one.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
isaac

I'm in Orlando and know these things pretty darn well so if you still need it fixed for almost nothing (maybe even beer) I can help.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

This thread is almost a year old.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Good offer though. It's awesome finding people who want to help in real life too