Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
Skunkhome

Re: Trouble Finding Neutral

I have not had any problem finding neutral on other bikes but it seems on the gz I only find neutral when I don't want to, like up shifting from 1st. I can find it easily when the engine is not running but is very tricky while it is running. At long lights I often just shut the engine off especially with the 90+ degree temps we have been having...it's easier on the bike as well as me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
clonak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
but it seems on the gz I only find neutral when I don't want to, like up shifting from 1st.

Sounds like my old A100. Could never find neutral, ever, unless I was riding, in situations where you _do not_ want to it happen. bloody old pig, I miss her.

when I first got the GZ, I had the same problem, dont know what it was, but a bit of fiddling around with the leaver and it would work. Havent had the problem for awhile, its getting into first from neutral now, gotta roll it sometimes.

If the light doesnt come up at first, try putting it back into gear, then back to neutral, or roll the bike with clutch in and out.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
Skunkhome

If I have a panic stop and did not manage to get the bike into 1st before the bike comes to a stop I often can't get her into 1st without either releasing the clutch a touch or just shutting her down and restarting. I think I probably have warped clutch plates related to the PO riding it with too much slack in the clutch cable.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
If I have a panic stop and did not manage to get the bike into 1st before the bike comes to a stop I often can't get her into 1st without either releasing the clutch a touch or just shutting her down and restarting. I think I probably have warped clutch plates related to the PO riding it with too much slack in the clutch cable.
Releasing the clutch a touch is a common occurance on many bikes. I very much doubt a slack clutch cable would warp the plates.
Next time the tranny hangs up you might try rolling backwards using your right foot as you press down on the shifter. Sometimes just a few inches will do the trick...............................Oh crap, no I won't rephrase that.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
mrlmd1

It's very common having a hard time getting into first from a stop at neutral on many bikes and there's nothing wrong with the bike. Pull in the clutch, roll it forward or backwards a few inches and try it again. Better to leave the bike in first gear when you stop at say a light or stop sign, so you're ready to go, esp. in an emergency where you may have to move or pull out quickly and not trying to find first gear. You will get to know your bike with more riding time. Don't start looking for exotic causes which don't exist.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Rookie Rider

My gz is easier to find "N" from second, but i always try from 1st first. It always kicks into 2nd no matter how easy i do it, then i just lightly tap down on shifter and usually find "N" right away.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

When did the bike have it's last oil change? Fresh oil may make it shift easier when you are hunting for neutral. Also lube the joints for the shifter. Squirt a little chain lube into the rubber covers for the joints. The bike probably needs some TLC to make it happy again.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
Skunkhome

If the clutch cable is too loose the clutch never fully disengages. That is by no means exotic. Regardless this is by far the hardest bike to find neutral and 1st I've ever ridden. The longer I ride on any given day the harder it gets. I know what I have to do to get her into 1st and neutral but it's stubbornness makes it less than enjoyable to ride in heavy city traffic on an obsolete road system that is in the process of being upgraded to be only 30 years behind the times.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #19
mrlmd1

If the clutch didn't fully disengage with the clutch handle pulled all the way in, you wouldn't be able to sit still in 1st gear stopped, so I doubt that's the issue. The bike would be trying to move forward or stall.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
If the clutch didn't fully disengage with the clutch handle pulled all the way in, you wouldn't be able to sit still in 1st gear stopped, so I doubt that's the issue. The bike would be trying to move forward or stall.
It is possible the clutch is dragging just enough to put pressure on the shift drum mechanism and hindering it's movement when the bike is stationary.