Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: new girl riding

Sounds like the oil you are using is breaking down with heat to some degree. What kind and weight is the oil?? Also you should be shifting into 1st just prior to stopping. That way you are already in gear and ready to go when the light turns green. You are also safer if you have to suddenly get out of Dodge because of a sleepy cager behind you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
Skunkhome

If you catch yourself in a situation where you did not manage to get to first before stop, you can shut down the engine shift to 1st and crank up again. It isn't the best but there are times you get caught where downshifting on the go isn't possible.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
If you catch yourself in a situation where you did not manage to get to first before stop, you can shut down the engine shift to 1st and crank up again. It isn't the best but there are times you get caught where downshifting on the go isn't possible.
The Honda Rebel 250 has a common trait of not going into 1st even when you are just coming to a stop. The only way to get it into first is stop, push down on the shifter and shut down the engine. It pops right into 1st that way. Restart the bike and you are ready to ride once again. Lynda rode a Rebel during her rider training and would have set fire to it just as soon as the instructor wasn't looking. He kept watching of course.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunkhome
The Honda Rebel 250 has a common trait of not going into 1st even when you are just coming to a stop. The only way to get it into first is stop, push down on the shifter and shut down the engine. It pops right into 1st that way. Restart the bike and you are ready to ride once again. Lynda rode a Rebel during her rider training and would have set fire to it just as soon as the instructor wasn't looking. He kept watching of course.
That is exactly what happens to my Shadow when the engine is hot; even when still rolling I will push the shifter down to go into first but nothing happens, so I think it is in first when it is in second. All I know about the oil is that it and the filter were changed by the dealer when I bought it, I checked the oil level and the oil was clean. I have only put 817 miles on it since then, so the oil should be good. I may just have to change to synthetic or a heavier oil before the oil is due to be changed and see if that helps. I am inclined to go with heavier oil since it gets so hot here (and also to the cooler spark plugs Honda recommends for sustained high speed riding). Once I am riding slower so that the engine cools a bit, it shifts fine.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

The dealer more than likely put in a 10-40 dino oil. Just for the fun of it why not try 15-40 Rotella dino oil and observe the results. I probably haven't subjected the Vstrom to real high temps like you will have but the bike seems to shift very well in the mid 90's F. No hang ups or missed shifts ever. Lynda's M shifts just dandy too.
If there is no significant change after 1000 miles then bite the bullet and go for synthetic. It will withstand high temps much better than a dino in most cases.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #16
dentheman

I think it may be 10W30 as that is what is called for in the owner's manual, but the manual also shows 10W40 for hot weather. I will give 10W40 a try. I should be able to leave the same filter on, right?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #17
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
I think it may be 10W30 as that is what is called for in the owner's manual, but the manual also shows 10W40 for hot weather. I will give 10W40 a try. I should be able to leave the same filter on, right?
You can leave the filter if it is reasonable new.If it got close to 3000 miles on it you might want to change it.
:cool:

Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
mrlmd1

As I said up above here --

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Almost all bikes have a hard time shifting into first gear if the bike is stopped and it has nothing to do with the oil in it.
If you can't easily get it into gear, roll it forward or backwards a couple of inches and it will go.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
blaine

Quote:
As I said up above here --

Quote:
Almost all bikes have a hard time shifting into first gear if the bike is stopped and it has nothing to do with the oil in it.
If you can't easily get it into gear, roll it forward or backwards a couple of inches and it will go.
You should be shifting into 1st gear before you come to a stop.This is how the transmission is designed,to be shifted on the move.Also if your into 1st gear when coming to a stop,you have a much better chance of moving out of the way,if need be.
:cool:

Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #20
dentheman

I am trying to shift into fisrt as I am ROLLING to the stop, doing maybe 5 to 10 mph, normal downshifting through the gears.