Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Once is enough

Had a new experience today. Went to get the old eyeballs checked today for new glasses. Decided to ride seeing as how it is a really nice day. That was my first mistake. All went well going to the eye doc. At the eye doc's office she decided to do a major check and dialated my eyes with really wild results. Oh sure, not a problem with the light level in the darkroom. She gave me some thin plastic tinted green to cut down on the light once I got out side. Just slip them behind my glasses for a temp fix to overcome the brightness. Walked outside and dang near dropped to the sidewalk when the light hit my eyes. Right about then I realized I should have driven(not ridden) and also brought my high dollar clip-ons to protect my eyes.
Sat back in the shade for a while to see if my eyes would adapt a little. A little later I gambled and rode home. The first few minutes I had blurry vision and the speedo was unreadable. As the air dried my eyes from the wind with the shield up things got better. Not gonna do that again ever. Shoulda driven and had a nap in the truck for an hour or so after the eye exam.
Downside is new glasses in the near future. Upside, had a ride, pics for the tag game and made it home safely. Woo Hoo.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
Rookie Rider

Re: Once is enough

I had my eyes dialated once or twice. You definitely have to wait even to drive a car let alone a bike. Wow. At least you got home safe.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
fatoldfool

Next time have them give you a pair of the wrap-arounds they have in the eyecare packets for patients after cataract surgery. Lots more protection!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Next time I will be sure to be a passenger in my truck.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
mole2

I made that mistake once and ONLY once. Same as you WW. I didn't know ahead of time that they were going to dialate my eyes. Now I ask when they call to confirm the appointment.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
I made that mistake once and ONLY once. Same as you WW. I didn't know ahead of time that they were going to dialate my eyes. Now I ask when they call to confirm the appointment.

Actually we could both say two times. The first time and the last time. :lol:
Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Rionna

I'm glad you made it home safely! The optometrist office should do a better job of educating patients and like mole said preparing them for procedures so that they can make transportation arrangements. I find they downplay the effects of the dilation by telling you that it will be OK to drive in a few minutes. No it isn't OK!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
burkbuilds

WW, glad you made it home safely. That must have been pretty nerve racking not being able to see well. Thanks for sharing this with us so we won't find ourselves in the same situation.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
WW, glad you made it home safely. That must have been pretty nerve racking not being able to see well. Thanks for sharing this with us so we won't find ourselves in the same situation.
It was only the first few minutes that my vision was scary. After that the wind dried my eyes and things got better pretty fast. Next time I will make different arrangements.

Oh yeah, got a price for new lenses. $500 plus when all is said and done. Could have saved $150 but I wanted the transition option for sunny days.
Kind of a catch in your throat price but better than a coffee buddy of mine. He had to buy 3 pairs in two weeks at $600 a throw. Needed new glasses, one. Promptly smashed them to pieces. Replacement glasses lost within hours, that's two. Third pair are still in use.