Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
cconleyjr

watch that neutral light

even if you're neutral light is on make sure your let out your clutch real slow to make sure

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Sarris

False Neutral

:oops:
Old 07-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
music man

Doh! O_o

Old 07-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
cconleyjr

I didn't lay it down or drop it but it was kinda hair raising for a minute :rawk:
Old 07-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
music man

Don't feel bad I got caught in a rain and very small sized (like BB sized) hail storm one day, and I stopped at a stop sign, with the clutch pulled in, started to wipe of my face with my shirt with the other hand, I tried to readjust myself a little and my wet hand (I didn't have my gloves on) slipped off the clutch just enough for the bike to lunge forward, my feet went straight out in front of me so I was basically laying on my back on my bike for a split second.

How I got my feet back down and caught myself before I actually fell over I don't know but there were like three cars going by on the road that I was waiting at the stop sign to get on to. So I had an audience to top it all off. How embarassing is that?

Later :blush:

Old 07-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
cconleyjr

don't moments like that just make life so sweet :blush:
Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Jenny

My neutral light is sticky. It has a habit of saying it's off when it's not (and of getting caught when I'm shifting - always fun when I need to upshift fast!). I was lucky - I had taken the MSF class and they gave us speeches about why you never believe the neutral light. If I hadn't taken that, there are a few times I'd have been in trouble. Heck, I got in trouble the other day at a stoplight on a road that does 40 mph. There were cars behind me, I'd downshifted to first when I stopped, but I didn't CHECK that I was in first (the light said I was because it wasn't on, right?!?!?). It wasn't in first. It had jammed in neutral again. I really hate when that happens - I have to ram down on it a few times to shove it into first. THANKFULLY the cars behind me didn't start moving until after they were sure I was moving! I was rear ended on my car once when I stalled at a stop light when I re-started. I was freaked that would happen when I was caught in first on my bike. Now I always ram down twice on first and check at stop lights as well as when I'm parking!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny
Now I always ram down twice on first and check at stop lights as well as when I'm parking!
Hmmm....sorry to jump in with a negative comment but I think you are developing a bad habit (ramming/jamming on the transmission shift lever) to solve a situation that could be handled much better with different methods. Repeatedly stomping on the shift lever is sure to damage something eventually.

I have noticed all the same things you mentioned; I assume it's just the nature of the beast.

For me, at least, the clutch is the key to most of the transmission quirks.
If you want to be sure you actually ARE in 1st, just let the clutch out a tad to see if it starts to pull or not.
If you are having trouble downshifting from neutral, engage the clutch for a second and try again.

As for the shift from 1 to 2, putting a little toe tension on the lever BEFORE the shift helps a lot. Once you find the right tension (if under power, you can pull against the lever harder than you might think) the shift will just "happen" when you roll off the throttle and pull in the clutch. This works for the other upward gear changes too.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
mrlmd1

If the bike won't shift easily into first from neutral at a stop, roll the bike forward a few inches and then shift into first. It should go easily, and don't keep smashing on the shifter, you will bend or break something. It's not going into gear for a reason and it's trying to tell that to you.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Jenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
If the bike won't shift easily into first from neutral at a stop, roll the bike forward a few inches and then shift into first. It should go easily, and don't keep smashing on the shifter, you will bend or break something. It's not going into gear for a reason and it's trying to tell that to you.
I'm picking up a new helmet at the Suzuki dealer next weekend. I'll ask him if he can also take a look and see why it won't shift sometimes.