Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #21
clonak

Re: watch that neutral light

Hi,

Yeah I worked that out. It is in neutral but the light isnt lighting up sometimes, so I am gathering its not connecting the switch properly, just gotta wiggle the gear leaver and its fine. Once I worked that out I havent really had a problem with it. Thanks though.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Try lubing the shifter linkage. Spray chain lube into the little rubber booties on both ends of the adjuster linkage and any other moving parts as well. The shifter could be hanging up a little and causing this. Most folks never do and are sometimes amazed at the results.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
NonallaNostrum

I had a few weeks that I had issues finding neutral... then i found out my light was burned out. Very odd considering i had less than 2500 miles... but got to learn how to change it!

To echo what was said above, this bike (and I assume others) don't like to shift not moving. Found out a few times when I had to hard stop... I was concerned with stopping and forgot to shift down... had to rock bike a few times to get to first. Looked silly to cagers, but at least i got it stopped w/o dumping! hopefully in time I'll learn to also click the other foot

Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonallaNostrum
I was concerned with stopping and forgot to shift down... had to rock bike a few times to get to first. Looked silly to cagers, but at least i got it stopped w/o dumping! hopefully in time I'll learn to also click the other foot
You need some practice to develop muscle memory. Shifting down while making a hard stop or hard decrease is speed is a good and safe ability. You always want to be in the best gear to get outta Dodge if needed.
Think of it this way. You brake hard to avoid collecting a deer, you haven't shifted down. Approaching cager from behind who may be half asleep. You are in the wrong gear and can't move out of the way. The deer has a story for it's friends.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #25
northsidegz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The deer has a story for it's friends.
...or dinner for it's family and a pair a buckhorn handlebars for above the mantle! :biggrin:

(....ew, did he just say deer eat humans?)

Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Nah, the deer just gets to relate the carnage it caused on the road. Deer don't eat people but they can kick your head open very quickly. Deer are leaf eaters, but the local bears and cougars are meat eaters. We presently have some cougars in town that are stalking people and their pets. All of the walking paths are closed in and around town because of them.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonallaNostrum
I had a few weeks that I had issues finding neutral... then i found out my light was burned out. Very odd considering i had less than 2500 miles... but got to learn how to change it!
Ye those bulbs tend to go fast, after two signal indicator bulbs in less than 3,000 miles i put LEDs in it. My neutral indicator is still working but will be a LED too, when it goes.