Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 03-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #21
zenbutcher

Re: Beware of Gravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Zenbutcher, the author is very correct stating no front brake at low speeds. In Proficient Motorcycling there is a very excellant explaination of the forces involved when using the front brake. Modern front disc brakes are wonderful but also need to be used with a little discretion at low speeds.
Hey, thanks, man! I keep hearing about this proficient motorcycling book. I guess I'll have to get it...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbutcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Zenbutcher, the author is very correct stating no front brake at low speeds. In Proficient Motorcycling there is a very excellant explaination of the forces involved when using the front brake. Modern front disc brakes are wonderful but also need to be used with a little discretion at low speeds.
Hey, thanks, man! I keep hearing about this proficient motorcycling book. I guess I'll have to get it...
Proficient Motorcycling is the cheapest life insurance you will ever buy. And it will last a lifetime.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #23
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbutcher
Believe me, I learned this the hard way, and, thus, have a few scratches on my front brake lever, exhaust pipe, and front fender.
Me too. Went down going about 2 miles an hour when a guy turned left in front of me in our parking lot. It was a legal turn (there's no marked stop signs so it's a little technical as far as who has the right of way) but the surprise element caused me to instinctively grab the front brake as I was coming round the corner. Bad instinct! Was about 500 miles or so into my Strat. I set it down again a few months later when I got confused by a freeway onramp meter, but fortunately in both cases I had no injuries to myself, I had help picking it up, and all the bike suffered are some minor scratches. I always make sure I am upright and going straight before I use the front brake now and I consciously let go of it once I enter a turn.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #24
GeeZee250

There are a couple of intersections on my road that have the usual bit of gravel in the middle. For the last few weeks I have been thinking of taking the big broom out as a public service and getting rid of that gravel. I think I will try to safely clean one this weekend and see how it goes.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:44 AM   #25
varangianknight

Thanks water warrior and everyone else for their comment. i now realize that ive been leaning on the brake when im going slow. I thought that it should be an even distribution of braking when at slow speeds but i see now that at the 5-10 kmh speeds the braking should be be done mainly by the back brake.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #26
dieter33

Slow WAY down and keep a steady pace and don't try to over correct; go with the flow. If it a REAL gravel road.....most people have never seen a real gravel road, It is not comfortable going more than 20 MPH for the beginners.....and with keeping my feet out too part of the time. And it is also on your bike's tire and the bike itself. Sometimes people get target fixated in a curve with debri at the apex or have the bike leaned over too much. Maybe on how they manage the bike.