Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
kk4dbi

Check that gas level!

Hello all, I made a major newbie mistake about a year ago and now that I'm apart of this forum I'll share it in hopes it helps someone. I washed and waxed my gz250 and went off for a little reward ride in t-shirt and shorts. It was just getting dark and I headed down a 3 lane highway US-19 in Tarpon Springs, FL. All was well going around 45 mph visibility was okay and I was in the far left lane with several cars behind and to the right of me. My bike struggled for a moment and then I started losing power rapidly. Panicked I aimed for an oncoming turn lane to do an emergency pull over at too high a speed and locked the rear wheel. The bike skidded about 6 feet but fortunately the handle bars were square enough to ramp up (crash into) the gentle curb of the median, did a small hop and came to a safe halt in the grass. Pulling over properly and trembling with fright I looked over the bike and found no damage but major damage to my ego. I was frustrated with the motorcycle and I was almost convinced to sell it to the first taker. But begrudgingly it's not the bike, it's the driver and I hope to come to terms with rider responsibility in checking everything including something as simple as gas. The GZ250 does not have a low fuel light so you have to know when you are out, big change for me at least. I KNOW to check my mileage with the odometer to somewhat accurately measure gas remaining now ... It could've been worse for me but I'm fine and still enjoying the gz250..btw, this bike is AWWWEESOMEE
Safe and fun Riding everybody

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Gz Rider

Re: Check that gas level!

Old 10-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

In the far left lane !!! Unless you were planning on a left turn you were in a very bad place. Glad to hear you survived without a major mishap.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
cayuse

I was riding home yesterday from the toy run and the same thing happened to me. BUT, I knew it was coming. It just surprised me by coming about 10km early. It took a few seconds to reach down and flip the spigot over to reserve but I managed to hold my position in traffic and motor on. I'm sure the handful of riders behind me recognized what was going on. :whistle:

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 10-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Rookie Rider

:tongue:

Old 10-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Rookie Rider

I went 214 miles on a full tank, without using reserve.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
cayuse

I usually get 185 before I have to switch. I ride a very diverse mix of hills, and speeds.

Anyway, the key is "don't panic". Keep an eye on the odo and if you're getting close to reserve just switch over on the run before you starve the engine and find yourself in a situation.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
mrlmd1

I posted here a year or two ago about the importance of practicing to reach down and turn the fuel selector lever on the petcock from RUN to RESERVE. You have to know where this is without looking at it and be able to switch it at the first stumble, then you won't miss a beat. There is almost no excuse for that type of accident other than pure panic and operator error. If you do run out of gas and the engine dies, pull in the clutch and coast over to the side of the road. I suppose it might be possible to lock up the rear wheel if the engine is dead and not running, but I don't think that would happen in 5th gear.
And, IMO, there is nothing smart about going 200+ miles on a tank of gas unless you want to get an idea of what your range is with your riding style and road conditions, but one day if you stretch it, you will be dead on the road with no gas, esp. if you forgot to reset the petcock from reserve to run. Get used to refilling at 150 or 160 miles and you'll never run out of fuel. And like every day when you do your oil level and air pressure and lights check (right? you do those?) before you ride, make sure the petcock is in the RUN position just to make sure.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Jvacustoms

There has to be something wrong with my bike cause i never get over 150 before the bike cuts out and i have to switch
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You have a larger main jet and custom exhaust, right?

Bigger jets flow more gas. Using more gas limits mileage.