Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
Jvacustoms

Re: Check that gas level!

Not yet I don't I was gonna do that soon as I can find sone pipe of the apropriate size right now everything is stock accept I have a 16t sprocket installed which I am contemplating taking back off because it already had problems taking hills not it struggles worse I like the bike a lot it just seems like I should have either better power or better mileage but it seems like I am not getting either

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

How many gallons are you using to fill up? You might just be getting gas too soon.

Do the normal stuff;
-air in tires
-carb cleaner
-check air filter for debris (leaves and other crap can get sucked up in there.)

I would average around 185 per tank. 200-210 if I was brave and/or on the highway.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Jvacustoms

Tires have air in them I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it all, and ran a can of seafoam through it, Air filter has been taken out and i have cleaned the air box with de-greaser and blown the air filter out as described in owners manual, I found pecans and leaves all in it from a rodent I assume. I have taken the tank off an cleaned it, replaced the front brakes adjusted the rear brakes replaced all the bulbs in the turn signals and brake lights for brighter bulbs and added saddle bags last night. I have to choke the bike in the mornings to start it and it normally has to be choked in the evening when I get off work to get it going then too. since the front brake pad replacement they have made a squeaking sound at low speeds so i bought some brake pad lubricant to try lubricating the holding pin and brake pad between the back of the pad and the shim and also between the shim and the caliper to see if that takes care of it. also have a brand new ngk dr8ea plug gapped properly in there. I use 87 octane fuel from Marathon which has always been a better fuel IMO I also have been using Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment with every fill up I get 3.125-3.25 gallons per fill up and use 5.5 ml measured in a oral syringe made for liquid medication which is the recommended amount as i calculated it per the directions on the back of the bottle.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvacustoms
i never get over 150 before the bike cuts out and i have to switch
I always fill up at 200km (125 miles) That way, I've never had to use reserve. 200 is a nice round figure to spot on the odometer.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvacustoms
Tires have air in them I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it all, and ran a can of seafoam through it, Air filter has been taken out and i have cleaned the air box with de-greaser and blown the air filter out as described in owners manual, I found pecans and leaves all in it from a rodent I assume. I have taken the tank off an cleaned it, replaced the front brakes adjusted the rear brakes replaced all the bulbs in the turn signals and brake lights for brighter bulbs and added saddle bags last night. I have to choke the bike in the mornings to start it and it normally has to be choked in the evening when I get off work to get it going then too. since the front brake pad replacement they have made a squeaking sound at low speeds so i bought some brake pad lubricant to try lubricating the holding pin and brake pad between the back of the pad and the shim and also between the shim and the caliper to see if that takes care of it. also have a brand new ngk dr8ea plug gapped properly in there. I use 87 octane fuel from Marathon which has always been a better fuel IMO I also have been using Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment with every fill up I get 3.125-3.25 gallons per fill up and use 5.5 ml measured in a oral syringe made for liquid medication which is the recommended amount as i calculated it per the directions on the back of the bottle.
Well, you're certainly doing everything right. 48 MPG, which I calculate you as getting, is awfully low for this bike.
(I just checked my old mileage logs and I do see some that dip down into the low 50s so you're not that far off, although 62+ is the average.)
I'm not familiar with Star Tron. The only fuel additives I use are Berryman's or Marvel Mystery Oil.

How many miles on the bike?
When is the last time the valves were adjusted?
Have you set chain tension recently? (a tight chain can causes unnecessary parasitic drag which reduces fuel economy)
How much do you weigh/ how tall are you?

Also, starting with choke is necessary just about every time that the engine is cold to the touch. Only a handful of times during my ownership was I able to start the bike without choke, and that was in the middle of summer after sitting in the sun for a couple of hours.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
Jvacustoms

4420 chain is perfect according to the MOM valves have never been adjusted by me I am gonna do that soon as i do my oil in 300 miles 210lbs 5'-8"
Old 10-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Only 4,000 miles? That's still a tight engine...

What, did you buy a used one with like 10 miles?

There is definitely something going on but you seem to have a handle on everything...
I don't know, man. :bang:
Old 10-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
Jvacustoms

no My wife bought it 5 years ago with 53 miles on it and she rode it around to about 900-1000 miles before I met her then it sat at the farm under a carport rusting and sitting for 4 years then i found it and couldn't take it any more so i got it out and jump started her with carb cleaner to see if she was worthy of fixing
then i began ripping her apart and cleaning everything and making sure it was right. I have done all the work my self so far minus the carb cleaning that was a buddy of mine that rides a rebel 250 2009 model. but i watched and helped then he just had experience with them. I was told that it was hard to do the carb by another mechanic, I now know that it is cake work. I dont believe that my tool kit has the valve tool. I have a valve stem tool that I bought from rocky mountain atv and some others that I have from working on stuff. I saw somewhere that it was the same... somewhere on this site. i want to be sure though. Also i have done a full fluid replacement and cleansing. brake, oil and filter...
Old 10-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #19
cayuse

It's easy enough to check the valve clearances. I would do that next. Mine have needed tweaking now and then and I usually sense a power improvement (wishful thinking?)

BTW, I hit reserve on the weekend at 290km (about 10km early) and rode on to 325km before stopping for gas. Come to think of it, that day I spent an hour near full throttle on the highway, then an hour putting along in a parade, so I guess it's no surprise my mileage suffered.

I put just under 12 litres in to fill it. Since this is a 14 litre tank I should be able to get 375km (230 miles) before I run dry. Not that I ever want to but it's nice to know.

Also, I found my mileage went down with the 16T sprocket. Not a lot, but noticeable.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 10-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Valve Adjustment How-to:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5061

JVA, how many miles have you put on the bike since you got it running?
It might simply be a matter of "waking the bike up" after a long slumber.