Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Jvacustoms

Rabbits are fast.

I pulled outta my driveway(very steep) and shifted up to second gear last night was doing a test drive after completing the needle shim modification and removing the mixture cap. I started to accelerate when a rabbit darts across in front of me and I hit my brakes. Well when i combined that with the fact I just rolled my bike outta the garage and tried to test drive it in the rain up hill at night on curvy roads. I messed up my bike a little but it is fixable and i just have a bruised shoulder some ripper pants and gloves and a rashed leather jacket. no blood was shed this night. The rabbit scurried off to the woods. and i jumped up grabbed the bike straightened out my bent foot peg and rode back up to my garage and inspected the cause. There was gas leaking out of the bucket i used to collect it on my garage floor and tire tracks from my front tire out the door where i rolled in it. My lessons are learned.

1.) Be more careful when wrenching not to get oily products on tires.
2.) wait till morning to do any tests on the bike.
3.) when it is raining it isn't the best time to test drive.
4.) those damn rabbits are fast enough to get out the way.
5.) Riding gear really does keep you safer.
6.) I like leather it saves my skin!
7.) doesn't matter how much you train on being safe things are still gonna happen.

Ride safe! Wear your gear!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Gz Rider

Re: Rabbits are fast.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
alantf

I remember, a few years back, when I was driving a double decker bus, a cat ran straight across the road in front of me. I managed to slow down in plenty of time, & the cat made it safely to the edge of the pavement (sidewalk). Trouble is, as I accelerated away again, the stupid animal turned round & shot straight under the front wheel.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Awesome! Road-rashed jackets make you look hardcore!

But if the ladies ask, tell them a more macho story

Old 10-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
Gz Rider

Old 10-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Jvacustoms

AND WAS 6'4 AND NAMED HARVEY AND ONLY I COULD SEE HIM.... I think that I will stick with a "little bunny" darted in front of me and I managed not to hurt the poor thing. I scuffed up my bike a bit but the little bunny is still living. The things I do for those poor defenseless little creatures.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvacustoms
AND WAS 6'4 AND NAMED HARVEY AND ONLY I COULD SEE HIM.... I think that I will stick with a "little bunny" darted in front of me and I managed not to hurt the poor thing. I scuffed up my bike a bit but the little bunny is still living. The things I do for those poor defenseless little creatures.
Harvey, good grief you must be an old movie buff if you know him.
Rule of thumb: if it is small enough to eat in one meal then hit it.
Glad you came out of the mishap fairly undamaged and unmangled. ATGATT is the only way to ride.

As a side note, I just ordered a new jacket from Motorcycle.com on a closeout sale. Joe Rocket waterproof jacket for $51. I felt so good about that I decided to spring for the optional $80 super dupper backpad too. It will fit all 3 of my JR jackets.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
Jvacustoms

I grew up watching super old movies and now i find them better than most new movies... That was a rather good one though!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
tsmall

About 10 years ago, I had a dog chase me at about 25-30 MPH and in my frantic trying to kick the damn thing off my left ankle, I whooped sideways and down I went. I wanted to shoot that damn dog, but while I was laying there thinking what to do next, the stupid dog came up to me wagging his tail and proceeded to lick me! His owner came out and helped me get the bike back up and was almost crying, apologizing all the time. Apparently, the dog was just a chaser and had got loose from the guys back yard. No injury, but had a little rode rash on my leg. Watch out for critters, two and four legged!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
Jvacustoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall
About 10 years ago, I had a dog chase me at about 25-30 MPH and in my frantic trying to kick the damn thing off my left ankle, I whooped sideways and down I went. I wanted to shoot that damn dog, but while I was laying there thinking what to do next, the stupid dog came up to me wagging his tail and proceeded to lick me! His owner came out and helped me get the bike back up and was almost crying, apologizing all the time. Apparently, the dog was just a chaser and had got loose from the guys back yard. No injury, but had a little rode rash on my leg. Watch out for critters, two and four legged!

Well, there are pit bulls living at the stop sign leaving my neighbor hood that are not nice i am just afraid that one day i am gonna go to leave and get stuck at the sign waiting on the traffic and have to drop on of em. i dont wanna kill the animal but i have been attacked by mistreated animals before and that wont happen again. the rabbit taught me a lesson too dont try to avoid anything you think the wheel will go over....