Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 06-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Thumperville

backpack came open and lost my tools =/

so i hope you guys don't mind if i vent a bit. i had my backpack attached to the luggage rack on the back of the passenger backrest and at some point during my 20 mile ride the zippers worked their way open...wide open without my knowledge.
after exiting the freeway i was on the 3rd red light in city traffic when another biker rolls up beside me and mentions that my bag is open...so glad he did mention it unlike the countless other cars that could have rolled a window down and mentioned it to me.

i lost my fieldpiece HVAC meter (i do HVAC service work) that i use on a daily basis. luckily the other biker that alerted me about the open bag told me before my gauges were about to fall out.

anyways, i wanted to share this expensive mistake/lesson and make sure that people don't trust the zippers on backpacks to stay closed.

i will have my revenge on the backpack. i'm thinking of burning into a pile of ashes.

hopefully you guys are having a better day than me, lol!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: backpack came open and lost my tools =/

Burning sounds like a plan. Shooting it would get the neighbors all excited. How easy is it to replace the lost equipment?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Would it be impossible to retrace your ride and find some of those tools?

The open end of any bag you put on your bike should face you. I am assuming that this bag was turned away from you, and perhaps laying down?

Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
alantf

[attachment=0:1pc12vof]b61.jpg[/attachment:1pc12vof]How about a tank bag, so you can keep your eyes on things? Mine expands, if I need to carry more stuff.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Thumperville

no luck on finding them. all the tools were in my meter bag, which apparently fell out of the backpack and eventually into someone elses hands. my meter is the saddest part, i loved that thing http://www.fieldpiece.com/stick-meters/hs36

and in the meter bag i had several add-ons for the meter and other important hand tools that will be missed=/
i did have my name on the meter bag, but not likely a good samaritan with good detective skills to locate me to return the bag lol.
live and learn

Old 06-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Thumperville

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
[attachment=0:cyxnukm4]b61.jpg[/attachment:cyxnukm4]How about a tank bag, so you can keep your eyes on things? Mine expands, if I need to carry more stuff.
i think i would like having something like that on my tank, not too shabby
Old 06-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Rionna

That's horrible that you lost your tools! Good lesson to share as a reminder for us to keep everything zipped, buckled, and tightened up. I have a bad habit of leaving my jacket pockets unzipped with my keys and garage opener in it. Just a matter of time... I like that tank bag as well.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
alantf

Thing is, when you get to your destination, you can carry the bag with the handle, or over your shoulder with the strap, or unzip the base to remove the flaps & magnets, and use the two straps that are now exposed as a back pack. It's got reflective material on both sides and comes with a waterproof, elasticised, cover for when it rains, and a zip round the base to allow it to concertina up, for carrying more stuff. It's also got a large clear plastic map pocket on the top, so you can see your map while you're riding. Cost me €39 from Lidl. Dunno if you have them in America, I think it's a German chain. We had them in England.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
grego

i found the zippers moving around on my bag one dy. seeing that there are 2 zippers for opening and closing the different compartments i went to walmart and bought a 4 pack of miniture locks. i can close the compartment and lock both zippers together, this also helps keep honest people honest..

safe biking
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
greatmaul

I love my tank bag. Great for school, converts to a backpack and all that.