Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
ecr959

Good bike shops , Bad bike shops

Hello Guys,
Its been a long time I don't post. I wanted to tell you about an experience I had today. Some of you know that I just moved to Raleigh, NC about 10 months ago. Well, I was riding around with NY plates and NY license, so last week I finally got my NC license and today I wanted to get my plates. Well I needed an inspection first.

THE BAD FIRST: Well I went to a place called MotoMax, and they failed my inspection because they said "the brakes squeak, gotta fix the front brakes." Then they said "oh, both tires are dry rot. Gotta gettem replaced." Then the guy quoted me $325 plus a little more for tax. That was gonna be for 2 new tires and front brake and labor. I still had to pay $13 for the failed inspection.
I went to a poolroom to shoot and think about it, then I decided that I'm gonna get a 2nd opinion. I made a few calls and found another place just a mile away.
THE GOOD: This 2nd place was called North Raleigh Cycle. I told these guys what the first place said, and I told them that if they also think my tires were bad, I would buy at least the rear tire from them. Well... these guys said , and I quote " Those other guys are full of shit". He told me he had almost 30 years on bikes and fixing bikes
(and he looked it) well he looked at both tires and said there was absolutely nothing wrong with the front tire, and that he barely saw a small sign of dry rot on the rear tire. Then he told me that the law now says the the first inspection should have passed, with the shop just warning me that the tire might have some dry rot. He told me to report the first shop to the DMV.
This guy impressed me with his honesty. He passed my inspection, I was happy to pay $13 again.

Now, I can go next week and get registered and get plates.
SO THE MORAL IS: if it sounds funny or your gut tells you something is fishy, go get a 2nd opinion.

Eddie
BTW ... I wanted to share that I've been working at a good, fulltime job for 5 months, I got 40 hrs a week, a medical plan , I got paid days off. I got a nice little furnished room with a private bath, and I'm visiting a few churches until I find one I like. I ride my gz every day to work and back, and on weekends for groceries and going all over town. Some of you know that last year I was unemployed and broke for a long time. I started rough in Raleigh, but now I'm doing really good in comparison. And the whole idea for moving to Raleigh was from a few posts in this forum.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Good bike shops , Bad bike shops

Glad to hear that things are better.Good luck in the future,& keep enjoying the G.Z.
:cool:

Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

HI EDDIE. Good to hear from you. Sounds like the future is treating you right. I am happy for you, honest. A place of your own, a pay cheque and a much needed bike. Life is good. :rawk: :rawk:

Old 09-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
PimpS

Thumbs up!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
northsidegz

That's great to hear! Happy to hear things are going well! And REALLY happy the 2nd opinion went well. It is a fear I have from time-to-time since I'm not overly educated about such things.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Rookie Rider

Eddie my friend, nice to see you back here and really happy youre doing ok over there. Thats awesome. When i was reading this i said to myself, "no way his tires are dry rotted yet". It didnt sound right to me right away. High 5 to you. Did you report this jerkoff ?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
Maggie

Good to listen to our instincts. Glad you are settling in. Amazing how much this forum can inspire and encourage us to do, eh?
Old 09-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Without forums and the internet we would be held hostage by far too many shady dealers and shops. Often we don't have that option but it sure helps in the long run.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
ecr959

Thank you, all of you. I am settling in Raleigh just fine , Maggie. .. .. I got a good job, a decent little place to live in, I'm slowly making a few friends at work. Staying out of trouble, I am enjoying my favorite pastime (shoot pool) once or twice a week. Also, plenty of churches around to pick from.

I am even seriously thinking about getting a bigger bike. Thats another reason why I wanted to finally get my NC license and NC plates, because I was told you can't get financed when you want to buy a bike if you still have an out-of-state license.

I am looking at the Yamaha 650 custom, like the one that Mole has. I like it alot.

Hi Rookie: Not yet, but this just happened friday. I'm gonna send an email to the DMV next week and report them.
[attachment=0:lr0peyvh]IMG_20120618_105341.jpg[/attachment:lr0peyvh]
Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Eddie, you look pretty satisfied with yourself in the pics. Your words are even better.

Your move started out pretty bumpy last year but you recovered very well in this chapter of your life. We told you didn't we. I think I can speak for everyone here in saying "Glad you are back."
If you are thinking of the Star 650 you can't go wrong. They are a pretty decent ride. Yamaha sold a pot full of them before discontinuing production so they could go bigger in another model. By now you have enough time and miles to move up with little drama and fear of the unknown.