Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
dannylightning

Re: Heya from Melbourne, Aus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEREN
I'll find some screws to put in the empty threads soon.
You can bar end mirrors that done have such a long arm though, dannylightning. I got these as they were the easiest to come across.
Cheers
i would halve to find some that came streight out, and i dont know if that would work or not, my bars are swept back a bit, when they are turned to full lock the bar sets about a inch over top of the gas tank, and due to the swept back bars i think i would need to find mirrors that came streight out and than bent backwards so i wold need something like this, dont mind me im bored the red thing is the mirrors.

if any one wants to hire me for my wonderfull paint art let me know hahahahahaahahahahahahah

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
mrlmd1

Don't forget if you drop the bike or lay it down, the mirrors are history and they are prone to banging things moving in and out of a narrow space like in a garage because they stick out another 6" or so to the sides. I think it's harder to see through them too without having to look under your arms or out over your arms. IMO. And I, in my personal opinion, don't think they add anything to the appearance of the bike.
I also don't want to worry about the issue of them hitting my leg if I make a tight turn. I like them up over the bars and to get better visibility in back of me, without looking at my arms, I got 2 mirror extenders for about $10-11 for the pair that fit into the mirror mounting points and extend them out about 2" more to the sides, greatly improving rearward visibility.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Don't forget if you drop the bike or lay it down, the mirrors are history and they are prone to banging things moving in and out of a narrow space like in a garage because they stick out another 6" or so to the sides. I think it's harder to see through them too without having to look under your arms or out over your arms. IMO. And I, in my personal opinion, don't think they add anything to the appearance of the bike.
I also don't want to worry about the issue of them hitting my leg if I make a tight turn. I like them up over the bars and to get better visibility in back of me, without looking at my arms, I got 2 mirror extenders for about $10-11 for the pair that fit into the mirror mounting points and extend them out about 2" more to the sides, greatly improving rearward visibility.
Makes sense to me. And you still retain the OEM mirrors which are of decent quality IMO.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
mrlmd1

For those of you who don't know what they look like, the mirror risers/extenders are pictured below. They come in polished aluminum or powder coated black. screw right into the mirror sockets on the handlebars, then the mirrors screw into them. They raise the mirrors up about and inch and out 2" and made a world of difference to me letting me see behind me without my arms blocking the view, Find them on ebay.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
Sarris

I just replaced the rod on the stock mirrors with one 2" longer, threaded the ends, and voila! extended mirrors for $3

:cool:

Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
For those of you who don't know what they look like, the mirror risers/extenders are pictured below. They come in polished aluminum or powder coated black. screw right into the mirror sockets on the handlebars, then the mirrors screw into them. They raise the mirrors up about and inch and out 2" and made a world of difference to me letting me see behind me without my arms blocking the view, Find them on ebay.

Very nice pieces. The price is certainly right.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 PM   #17
dannylightning

Quote:

im sure there are drawbacks to the bar end mirrors, they dont add any thing, they take away from the front end. i don't know i like the stripped down look. i plan on keeping pretty much every thing else on my bike stock tho. if its not already a project that i have started but as soon as that is done than i think i will be done with any kind of mods.

those extenders probably help out a lot hun??
Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #18
mrlmd1

They work great for me - I'm not looking at my shoulders and arms anymore and don't have to wiggle around or turn the bars now to see perfectly behind me,
They fit in perfectly with the appearance of the bike, blend in well, and you really don't even notice them when they're on the bike.
The biggest advantage besides the better rearward vision, is that you don't move your eyes much to look out the mirrors, it's just a quick glance without having to find them, so you don't get distracted taking your eyes off the road. Sounds like an advertisement, but I think they're well worth it. I couldn't find longer arms for the mirrors like Sarris did without having to buy new rods and then get them threaded for a 10mm screw, and I didn't want to but a new pair of plastic mirrors which was the only thing I found with longer arms.
Last I looked on ebay, I think they're now $17-18, but worth it to me.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #19
alantf

Quote:
I'm not looking at my shoulders and arms anymore and don't have to wiggle around or turn the bars now to see perfectly behind me,
I've never had to wriggle or turn the bars to see o.k. Mine are adjusted fine. I'm just normal size, so are you particularly wide or anything? That's the only reason I can think of, for you not being able to see through the stock mirrors. (just trying to fing the reason )
Old 10-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #20
mrlmd1

It's just the way my bike ( the S50) is set up with the mirrors on it when I got it. The stock mirrors on my GZ worked fine, the arms are longer and stick out farther.