Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 03-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
supersquid

Front Rim Questions

I have a question about the front rim size if anyone on here has any input or experience in this area. I have a 2001 GZ250 and about 5k miles ago hit a piece of wood laying in the road at 55 mph. It severely dented the rim, but I've kept riding on it. I noticed that it wobbles a good bit, so maybe the bearing have gone out, but it hasn't locked up or anything so I've been an absolute squid and have been using the bike around town (>45 mph) in order to reduce the risk of anything bad happening at highway speeds. This vibrating/wobbling while riding has absolutely eaten through my front tire, so now that I need a new tire I'm planning on being somewhat responsible and just replacing the front wheel to fix this issue. The rim itself is bent so bad the front tire bulges out there a little bit, and it'll vibrate from the wheel bearing at the axle so I'm pretty sure the whole tire/hub/spokes/rim/that-entire-assembly should be replaced. I've been browsing Craigslist for the past 6 months hoping that a parts bike will come up, but the GZ250 supply in northern georgia is pretty slim. What other bikes have a front wheel that will fit this? I found a 1980 GS250T that I could get a front wheel from, but I don't want to drive the truck 3 hours one way just to find out that it's a non-compatible donor. I don't really care that much about size, looks, etc. since this bike is pretty much a beater to me, but I would like to be able to find a wheel that fits enough that the brakes and speedometer are able to work. Is that GS250T a possibility, or is the only option getting a GZ250 front wheel off of ebay?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
raul10141964

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Suzuki-...cca543&vxp=mtr
Old 03-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Try the "Parts for Sale" section here if you haven't already. Ebay is your next best option. A proper GZ wheel will assure you of a working speedo hub on the wheel. Also replace the wheel bearings. They are likely half dead from the odd vibrations and stress from the bent wheel.

I am surprised you rode for so long without mishap. Your Guardian Angel was working hard to keep you safe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
front, gz250, rim, tire, wheel