Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
haze5736

Hello everyone. I've never driven a motorcycle before. I am scheduled to take the safety course in July. I'm in the process of reading the dmv manual so I can get my permit. At the same time I'm watching Craigslist to see what's out there and I've been to the one and only dealer within 20 minutes of me. Salesman wanted to put me on an $8k Honda Shadow 700. No used stock to speak of. So I'm thinking I'll stick with Craigslist and the help of my father in law who's been riding a long time. There are quite a few GZ250's available within a 50 mile radius of me. Before I trek out 50 miles to look at bikes, I'd like to guage the possibility of me fitting on one with "reasonable" comfort. I know this is very subjective but would like to possibly get feedback from someone close to my dimensions. I am 38 years old, 6'3" and 165 lbs. Problem is I am mostly legs with an inseam of 36". For reference, I sat on a Rebel and the handlebars hit my knees unless I tuck them up to the gas tank (no clue if/how the handlebars were adjusted). I'm guessing this could pose a safety problem? I've seen plenty of 6 footers say they were reasonably comfy on the GZ but I don't recall seeing any inseam measurements. If my legs weren't so long I probably could have fit on the Rebel. I really like the GZ and there are quite a few '00 - '04 available at around the $1500 mark all with less than 8k miles. What I'd really like is a TU250X but I've never seen one new or used within 200 miles of me. My usage would be 5.5 miles daily to work roundtrip and the occasional longer ride on 2 lane 55mph highways. I'm definitely not a bigger is better type of person. Many folks said a Chevy Aveo would be a bad idea for such a tall person and it wouldn't be able to get out if its own way. Well, after 6 years I love driving my Aveo and have never had a problem entering a highway. I'm not looking to reopen a debate on what people think a 6 footer "should" ride. I'd like real life feedback from someone who may have similar dimensions to me. Hopefully you exist.
Thanks, Bill

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: New member

I sat on a Rebel and found it cramped too and I am not your height. The GZ seems to be the biggest of the 250 range. The TU would be even roomier but as you say........none around. If your knees are a bit tight and too close to the handlebars you might be wise in rotating the bars up and forward a tad. The other controls will have to adjusted to fit your hands etc.
Some MC Enterprises crashbars with highway pegs will allow you to stretch out on ocassion when it is safe to do so. No one has ever discovered a forward controls kit for a GZ and likely never will. Good luck in the search and keep us up to date.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
technocat

I just bought a GZ250 today and rode it home 7 miles. I am 6'1" and I found it to be comfortable. That being said, I believe someone with your height should do fine. I definitely believe you don't want to be over 6'6" just because the seat is so low and you'd end up with your legs at an odd angle. But I was rather surprised when I sat on the bike and how comfortable it was compared to what I expected.

Bottom line is, you just have to try it. You may just be surprised how well it fits.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
Strelok

haze5736 & technocat~

Welcome to the Forum!

:2tup:
Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
haze5736

Does this posting sound fishy to anyone besides me? It could potentially be a good deal, but not sure how to handle this type of situation. How does one normally handle getting a non-running bike they don't own yet to a mechanic to be checked out? This town is about 45 minutes away from the mechanic I would use near me. Does this posting scream run away?

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/mcy/2431216851.html

Old 06-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #6
geezer

sounds good but your gonna need carb cleand tires and batt. so i would try and et him down to 1500. so what if the miles are low, that dont mean shit in the gz world as most just rot away anyway. in fact a gz that has more miles on it would be a better buy imo,
Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
5th_bike

1800 is too much, I'd start offering them 1100 and then maybe pay 14-1500 at the most. You will need several hundred to get it ready for the road, as geezer said.

Try and see if the current owner is willing to jump start it from a (non-running) car battery. It may not run when the carburetor is clogged, though.

You could also try and have them get the bike running, and you take care of the tires. "I'll give you 1500 if you get it running".
Then, they would have to take it to the shop and have a mechanic clean the carb and install a new battery.

I'd only pay 1800 for it if it were in tiptop condition, ready to roll.

I see why you fell the urge to run away though, bikes with a title change history, that sounds a little fishy. You may want to inquire about the story with the bike's title.

Lastly, the blue on the exhaust pipes looks like it's a low mileage bike indeed.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
haze5736

Can anyone give me an idea of what new tires would cost? Let's assume I bring the whole bike to the shop and get decent middle of the road tires.
Also, for the carb...is it difficult to remove and clean? I've rebuilt 1 carb on a car before and numerous ones on outdoor power equipment. I have to imagine it is a lot easier on a bike than a car. Maybe somewhere between one from a car and one from a mower?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #9
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze5736
Can anyone give me an idea of what new tires would cost? Let's assume I bring the whole bike to the shop and get decent middle of the road tires.
Also, for the carb...is it difficult to remove and clean? I've rebuilt 1 carb on a car before and numerous ones on outdoor power equipment. I have to imagine it is a lot easier on a bike than a car. Maybe somewhere between one from a car and one from a mower?
Can't help you with your tire question.The carb is pretty simple to work on,not many parts.As you said,"between one from a car and one from a mower".
:rawk:

Old 06-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
geezer

tires as low as 50 a piece if lucky. as much as 140 a piece depending on what brand you buy. i got a 11 dunlop on rear and 49 shinko in front. see what i mean? dude if you could rebuild a car carb you better be a ble to remove and clean this one