Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #31
music man

Re: Full vs three quarter

My sister actually does take coffee on her 1500 vulcan when she rides it, and yes she does have a cup holder. There is a guy here in hot springs that rides around town on his big ass Goldwing in shorts, t-shirt, no helmet, smoking a cigar every time I see him.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #32
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
There is a guy here in hot springs that rides around town on his big ass Goldwing in shorts, t-shirt, no helmet, smoking a cigar every time I see him.
OK, this one should REALLY date me..........
The first bike I ever rode was a Harley 74 back about 1966. It had a hand operated gear shift, suicide (foot operated) clutch and manual spark advance.

Mind you, **I** only "rode" it about a hundred yards but the guy that owned it (a roommate) could eat a sandwich and drink a beer while cruising down the road and then smoke a cigar. He did have to stop to light the cigar, however. :roll:

I think that machine gave rise to the term "shake, rattle and roll". :biggrin:

A "high side" was when you set the spark advance wrong and the kick start threw your ass into the ditch.......without also breaking your leg, if you were lucky.

Ah, them were the good old days !! :bong:
Old 01-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #33
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Quote:
The first bike I ever rode was a Harley '74 back about 1966.
Was this bike also a time machine? or is that the make of the bike?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:55 AM   #34
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

It did sound funny, but the bike was probably a Harley Davidson Model 74.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #35
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_
Btw Dupo what's your girlfriend gunna say when she sees the image search "Transvestite bikers" on your internet history?

She is the one that found it for me :rawk:

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #36
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_
Quote:
The first bike I ever rode was a Harley 74 back about 1966.
Was this bike also a time machine? or is that the make of the bike?
Yes, as in 74 CI.

Shouldn't have put that apostrophe in there; fixed. :cool:
Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #37
Chris

Around Georgia the bike shops sell full face helmets for $300 or so. But Walmart (yes, Walmart) sells a terrific Bell full face helmet for $100. So that is what I bought and I just love it. I feel much safer having a full face helmet. I do not feel restricted in any way. I cannot imagine wearing anything else. Why would I wear something that I know is not as safe as my full face helmet. And I always dress heavy, even in the summer. Perhaps I know more about how asphalt tastes than you do.
So you don't think the quick trips to the store, etc. deserve the full safety treatment that the longer rides do? I've never met you...which part of your face is so ugly that you would not miss it when you fall?
"Don't dress for the ride, dress for the slide! Cause it's coming!"

Chris, retired guy near Atlanta
Old 01-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #38
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Perhaps I know more about how asphalt tastes than you do.
So you don't think the quick trips to the store, etc. deserve the full safety treatment that the longer rides do? I've never met you...which part of your face is so ugly that you would not miss it when you fall?

Since there was no quote to indicate exactly WHO this comment was aimed at, so I will assume that it was me.

My response:
Give it a rest. I have lived 62 years and ridden 40 or those without tasting asphalt and I don't intend to start now. It is a choice; I made mine and you made yours. I won't chew your ass out for your choice and would appreciate it if you give me the same courtesy. It is, after all, none of your business.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #39
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Around Georgia the bike shops sell full face helmets for $300 or so. But Walmart (yes, Walmart) sells a terrific Bell full face helmet for $100. So that is what I bought and I just love it. I feel much safer having a full face helmet. I do not feel restricted in any way. I cannot imagine wearing anything else. Why would I wear something that I know is not as safe as my full face helmet. And I always dress heavy, even in the summer. Perhaps I know more about how asphalt tastes than you do.

I'm going to go ahead and reiterate what Easy just said. Give it a rest. The helmet or no helmet debate will quickly get a thread locked. :bang:

As for the actual topic, I think it's a matter of taste, as much as safety. Some people feel claustrophobic in full-face helmets and others feel their vision is restricted. The more comfortable you are riding, the more attention you can devote to actually riding safely, the better. If you prefer the feel and openness of a 3/4 or half-helmet, then you shouldn't be criticized for it.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #40
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and reiterate what Easy just said. Give it a rest. The helmet or no helmet debate will quickly get a thread locked.

As for the actual topic, I think it's a matter of taste, as much as safety. Some people feel claustrophobic in full-face helmets and others feel their vision is restricted. The more comfortable you are riding, the more attention you can devote to actually riding safely, the better. If you prefer the feel and openness of a 3/4 or half-helmet, then you shouldn't be criticized for it.
Yeah real fair you get to throw your two cents in but if we do its locked. :poke2:
Ah behold the power that is ADMIN! :biggrin: :whistle: