Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-04-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
chandlerbingfl

Replacing rear tire.. replace tube as well?

Tire has about 8k on it maybe more. When I last replaced the tire I also replaced the inner tube. Never had any leaks or loss of pressure issues... Can I use the same tube or should I replace it?

Just looking for opinions,
Thanks!
chandlerbingfl

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

The tube should be good for a couple more tire replacements providing it is not damaged and you haven't had to patch it a number of time.
Use the tube but replace or carry a spare valve core. I had one go bad on my Vstrom and all that held in the air was the valve cap. It slowly went flat overnight so it was no biggy to replace the core and pump it up.

Oh oh oh, don't do what I did one day in my zeal for perfection. I over tightened the nut that holds the valve stem in place. I tore the valve stem away from the tube.............big time air leak. Luck was with me that day. We were out on our dirt bikes and went back to the parking area for a cool drink. Bike was parked beside the trailer when we heard a significant but short Hssssssssssssssssssssssss. I read a book while the rest of the group rode their brains out till dusk.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
chandlerbingfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
The tube should be good for a couple more tire replacements providing it is not damaged and you haven't had to patch it a number of time.
Use the tube but replace or carry a spare valve core. I had one go bad on my Vstrom and all that held in the air was the valve cap. It slowly went flat overnight so it was no biggy to replace the core and pump it up.

Oh oh oh, don't do what I did one day in my zeal for perfection. I over tightened the nut that holds the valve stem in place. I tore the valve stem away from the tube.............big time air leak. Luck was with me that day. We were out on our dirt bikes and went back to the parking area for a cool drink. Bike was parked beside the trailer when we heard a significant but short Hssssssssssssssssssssssss. I read a book while the rest of the group rode their brains out till dusk.
Thank you! I figured the tube should still be good....
chandlerbingfl

Old 06-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
stanos

had to get my front tire changed too because it was weather cracked and they found some rust degradation in the inner tube so got it replaced too...was just $15...like everyone said if it doesn't look bad or you have not need to patch it should be good
Old 06-16-2015, 01:51 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanos View Post
had to get my front tire changed too because it was weather cracked and they found some rust degradation in the inner tube so got it replaced too...was just $15...like everyone said if it doesn't look bad or you have not need to patch it should be good
Sounds like the rubber dried out and lost some grip and flexability. A new tire should give you greater confidence when riding. Hard dried out rubber is close to a death wish.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
chandlerbingfl

Thank you for all the info! Since tube was new with current tire I'll keep it..

chandlerbingfl