Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
GilHirien

WTF Front Sprocket Nut and Bolt

Ok, guys, after spending hours working on getting the front sprocket bolt off and hours more trolling through the forums for an existing thread on the subject I hope some of you guys could help. In efforts to fix other possibly related issues in the crankcase, I'm trying to remove the front chain sprocket nut to further break down the engine. I CANNOT get it off. I've read about loosening the chain adjusters to get more chain slack etc. but to no avail as of yet. The nut will turn, but after spending enough time exerting what most certainly should be enough force I decided that I wasn't getting anywhere. I used a permanent marker to mark the position of the nut and bolt and after a few more good turns I confirmed that the bolt is in fact rotating along with the nut. Which doesn't help me remove it one bit. The rear brake lever is depressed such that the wheel is not turning. There is shrapnel in the crankcase which I viewed through the removed clutch cover, hence further breaking down the bike and needing to remove said nut. Could it be that bits that are supposed to hold the bolt in position have broken off or am I simply overlooking something in the service manual...? Thanks in advance.

Rock

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
JWR

Sounds like it is time for an impact wrench.

If the chain is tight and the brake lever is down, you should be able to break the nut loose.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 05-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
GilHirien

Should the bolt still be rotating though with the brake depressed? That is rather counter productive for breaking the nut free if that is the issue. Brake fully engaged I can turn the nut and the bolt 360 degrees though with effort...? Thanks.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilHirien View Post
Should the bolt still be rotating though with the brake depressed? That is rather counter productive for breaking the nut free if that is the issue. Brake fully engaged I can turn the nut and the bolt 360 degrees though with effort...? Thanks.
You have to have the tranny in gear.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
GilHirien

Thumbs Up

WW. Thank you! Something simple that I overlooked. I had already removed the clutch fork to get a better look into the crankcase, and completely forgot about it. I just got ahead of myself it seems. Thanks again you guys. I may be back later when I find the source of the shrapnel.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
raul10141964

do you inspect the starter clutch?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
GilHirien

@Raul - starter clutch looks good. No signs of wear/damage and looks in working order. It also worked when last I had the bike running.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
GilHirien

Update: I did eventually break the nut free. What I found underneath was horrendous. The front sprocket inner teeth and drive were eaten away to nothing, hence not being able to break the nut even with the brake depressed fully. I ended up getting a whole new (to me) crankcase because of it, though for a great price. I can post pictures for those interested in the damage. The sprocket would still barely rotate with the engine turning, but almost only due to the friction of the nut on the side surface of the sprocket. Other problems with the bike still exist but will be posted in a new thread soon as they are unrelated to this particular issue.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

....That just sucks man... Keep us updated with you progress.

And, as always, pictures speak volumes.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #10
gz4me +

Sorry to hear about the damage. I would be interested in pictures of damage. Pictures are always helpful. Keep us posted on your repairs.

Tags
sprocket bolt/nut