Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 06-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
ArizonaKev

Re: My First Motorcycle Adventure

Wow, it does sound like you had a nice adventure!

I am going to be the one 'party pooper' here though and say that I really think you ought to wear a helmet, at all times - even if only to set a good example for your son. Especially if you are in your first year of riding (probably why they have that law).

I used to do stuff like that sometimes - make sure my kids were protected while I was not - until one time my daughter brought to my attention that she would feel absolutely horrible if something bad were to happen to me, even though she might be ok. I guess if I were you, I might think "so what would happen if we did get in a bad wreck, and I cracked my melon, and my kid - who was wearing a helmet, and therefore was ok, had to see me like that?"

I live in Arizona, a "no helmet necessary" state, but I choose to wear a helmet at all times. I have kids, and I don't want to die and leave them alone because of carelessness, because I wanted to "feel free", or look cool. Or even worse, have them take care of me for the rest of my life because I'm a vegetable. Just think about it - that's all I'm asking.

Ok - I am done with my soapbox rant! I am glad you made it though your adventure safely, and you will all have some definite stories to tell!

Have fun, and ride safe :2tup:

AZ Kev

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
GZ Jess

I don't mind your soap box rant. I do know what your saying as far as being an example and so forth. Your reasoning and logic are sound.

I have been wearing a helmet ever since and will continue to do so. However, the main reason I didn't wear one before is that it causes me pain during and mainly after the ride. I know everyone has some kind of excuse or reason why they don't wear one, so I am not making excuses, just looking for a solution. I have had two separate neck injuries so between the weight of the helmet and feeling like I am fighting the wind the whole ride I end up with massive headaches and shoulder and upper back pain towards the end of a ride and after. So if anyone has a suggestion on a type (full face, 3/4 or 1/2) that may be more helpful I would appreciate the input.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #13
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
However, the main reason I didn't wear one before is that it causes me pain during and mainly after the ride. I know everyone has some kind of excuse or reason why they don't wear one, so I am not making excuses, just looking for a solution. I have had two separate neck injuries so between the weight of the helmet and feeling like I am fighting the wind the whole ride I end up with massive headaches and shoulder and upper back pain towards the end of a ride and after.

Thanks.
Do you have a windshield?If not,It would make a big difference in the amount of wind that hits your neck and shoulders. :2tup:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2010, 04:32 AM   #14
ncff07

Not sure if youd want to but they make a helmet collar you could use. Mostly used in racing though and come in different styles and colors and such.