Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
JackMitt3ns

Backfiring after new stator install

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I'm hoping someone will know what to do about this.

I have a 2006 GZ250 with 22k miles on it and when I got it out this spring it started having charging issues. I got my multimeter out and according to the chart I found online (http://studylib.net/doc/18794507/sta...cycle-charging) the stator was the issue. I bought a stator online and replaced it. Once the bike was back together, all it would do is try to crank the engine, but then eventually it would backfire. (scared me to death!) I also got a new battery thinking that the old one just isn't powerful enough to start the engine. It would still try to start but would eventually backfire. Got out the multimeter and now it appears that the voltage regulator may need replacing. As far as I can tell everything else tests out fine-the stator, starter motor, battery.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I guess I don't really want to keep replacing parts hoping that the issue will resolve, and I don't really have the resources to take it in to the dealer to get it diagnosed. I have read in other forums (for different bikes) that timing could be an issue (or does the 2006 gz250 not have manual timing adjustments?), or I put the stator in wrong (if so how do I line it up?), or that I put the stator cover on too tight and the gears don't have enough room to move properly (which makes sense to me cause the bolts from the cover seemed fairly easy to get off when I first took the cover off, and I thought they should be tight, so I put them on tighter than I found them).

Anyone have any idea what is going on? or had a similar problem?

Any help is appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by JackMitt3ns; 05-22-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
spldart

Service manual page 3-40 and 3-41.
Sounds like a timing issue.
Hunt long enough and you can find the entire manual in pdf format

Tags
backfire, gz250, not charging, stator replacement, won't start