Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Sundowner750

Re: Open call for TU250 information, pics, specs, manuals, e

Well I do know that a lot of has to do with CA crazy emission laws plus the European Union Laws. (It was the EU Laws that kill my Katana from going in to production past 2006) With Europe being a huge chunk of the global market. They will build and ship bikes to satisfy that market.

With My Katana, the EU Laws on Emissions barred any bike over 500 cc's from using carburation as its fueling source

Taken From Wikipedia on Motorcycles.

Environmental impact

In 2007 and 2008, motorcycles and scooters, due to good fuel efficiency, attracted interest in the United States from environmentalists and those affected by increased fuel prices.[69][70] Piaggio Group Americas supported this interest with the launch of a "Vespanomics" website and platform, citing lower per-mile carbon emissions of 0.4 lb/mile (113 g/km) less than the average car, a 65% reduction, and better fuel economy.[71]

Other sources, however, claim that while motorcycles produce much less pollution in terms of greenhouse gases, a motorcycle can in some cases emit 10–20 times the quantity of nitrogen oxides (NOx) when compared to the NOx emissions of a car.[69][72] This is because many motorcycles lack a catalytic converter to reduce NOx emissions, and while catalytic converters have been used in cars long enough that they are now commonplace, they are a relatively new technology in motorcycles.[69] Many newer motorcycles (such as later models of the Yamaha R1 and Suzuki GSXR1000, as well as most BMWs which have included catalytic converters since the 1990s) now have factory fitted catalytic converters. Along with other technologies that have taken longer to appear in motorcycles (e.g. fuel injection, anti-lock brake systems),[citation needed] catalytic converters are becoming increasingly commonplace.

United States Environmental Protection Agency 2007 certification result reports for all vehicles versus on highway motorcycles (which also includes scooters),[73] the average certified emissions level for 12,327 vehicles tested was 0.734. The average "Nox+Co End-Of-Useful-Life-Emissions" for 3,863 motorcycles tested was 0.8531, for a difference of about 16%, not the claimed 10X factor. Likewise, if one looks at how many of the 2007 motorcycles tested were also catalytic equipped, 54% of them, 2,092, were equipped with a catalytic converter.

Hence with the bike not having the proper Euro III specifications, Suzuki Halted production of the Katana 600 and 750, and worked to update and replace models that would fall into the Euro III guidelines. The Katana was replaced two years later with the GSX-650F and finally with the GSX-1250F models to meet such requirements.

My take on it...
What I believe is the root of the problem is that most of us (Myself included) Hate taking a bike to a shop for ANY reason. including tuning and Jetting etc etc. Now that most of the bikes are going EFI, its eliminating the "Shadetree" Mechanics of yesteryear.
When running, My Katana made me extremely happy, it didn't give me many problems, and she never saw any shop time. I did the work myself and was quite pleased. Now she is undergoing a full frame up restore, getting new plastics and such. I will have a very worry free bike for a very long time...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #12
alantf

Re: Open call for TU250 information, pics, specs, manuals, e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner750
What I believe is the root of the problem is that most of us (Myself included) Hate taking a bike to a shop for ANY reason.
That's probably due to the silly prices the shops in america charge. Earlier this week I posted that the shop (here in Tenerife) had charged me the equivalent of $3.99 to tighten my chain. Someone came in to reply that in America that'd cost £85.00. I'm not getting any younger, so I hate getting down on cold garage floors. In a few years, you'll probably feel the same, & want to let someone else do the work.