Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Fawlty

Saccade

Came across this recently. Very informative and some good tips for us all.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-p...each-cyclists/

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-15-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

WOW!! Really informative article. A very good read with an explaination why we don't see others or others don't see us.

Another way to make yourself more visible. When approaching an intersection where a car might turn left in front of you or pull out from a side street you can increase your visibility by just doing a bit of a weave left to right. It will catch the other person's eye a lot better. I practiced this and it works well.
Anything we can do to be better recognized on the road can be a potential life saver. Be it reflective gear, reflective tape, added lighting or a larger visual footprint it is all good. Make a spectacle of yourself.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
Fawlty

Good idea WW. I am also going to start riding on full hadlight beam during the daytime.

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)

Old 08-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
alantf

So long as the Guardia Civil Trafico don't use it as an excuse to stop you. You know what they're like.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
So long as the Guardia Civil Trafico don't use it as an excuse to stop you. You know what they're like.
A GZ headlight on high beam during the day is not going to blind anyone. If any local cops say so I would politely tell them to get their eyes checked. With the variety of LED lights out there now a GZ rider can make the bike visible without taxing the charging system. Even Walmart has cheap ones that might do the trick. They are mainly good as daytime running lights but won't do much at night to help illuminate the road. For real effective night riding there are some good ones available but are kinda pricy. I've been considering some for the Ranger because the Hella driving lights I have are not that good. Yup, tried to save $20 and got a lesser product than the previous Hella units that were very effective.
Think it's time to track down a Canadian in the Far East with an online business. He had very well recommended LED driving lights for about $170. A lot of Vstrom riders posted pics of his lights at night. Very impressive.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawlty View Post
Came across this recently. Very informative and some good tips for us all.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-p...each-cyclists/

Please let this become a sticky for all to read and learn from. It is very valuable info.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
chromedome195

Yes, I have read this somewhere before and it is fascinating and explains how it is we often hear "I just did not see you." They are not lying....they did not see you.

And be aware that can also happen to you.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
alantf

nearly fifty years ago, I can still recall an accident that I had. I was driving on my way to work, and pulled to a stop at a crossroads (with a "halt" sign). After checking left and right, the roads seemed clear. As I moved off, to go straight ahead, I ran straight into a motorcyclist. I genuinely hadn't seen him, even after I'd looked both ways. Unfortunately, in those days, nobody understood that I had genuinely not seen him, so I was prosecuted for driving without due care and attention, and was fined. It's only after reading this post that I realise what actually happened.